This Random Jogger.....

Options
I went to the local metropark yesterday to attempt the 3 mile path, which I did. Anyway, it was quite busy with joggers, bikers, power walkers, etc. So here I go, sweating my *kitten* off, when some jogger comes at me, and says "Way to go! Good job!" And keeps going. I mutter thanks, and continue on. The thing is, I was both gratified AND insulted. Am I even normal for feeling this way? I admit I'm self conscious of how I look, but I don't think he said that to any skinny chicks. As I type this and see what I'm saying, I think I should take it the way he said it. But I still felt kind of...oh, I don't know....like he was condescending. Maybe it's from years of being overweight and teased that I got this way, but I dunno. :frown:

Replies

• hollywog
    Options
    first of all....good job! I am proud of you for even trying to tackle it because I probably wouldn't have attempted it right now LOL! And I used to run 4-6 miles every day. Second of all...whether he meant it to be condescending or he meant it to be encouraging, you can take it and make of it what you want. And I would chose to look at it as encouraging praise. Just like if you had a personal trainer or a coach helping you out...those are probably the words you would hear from them. Every single time I get on my treadmill in the evenings, I feel like I have fought and won a battle for the day. I really hate exercising! And really, either way you choose to take his comment...it should still be motivating for you! (it would be for me :happy: )
  • trishastarr
    Options
    what a strange thing to say to someone.....
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I doubt he was being condescending. Don't be self conscious. :smile: Maybe he was once in your position and thought he'd just offer some encouragement. Whenever I see someone out running, walking, cycling, or whatever, I think, and sometimes say, "Good for you!" I still have a bit to lose before I reach my goal, so I'm not one of the "skinny" people out running or biking. I just think it's nice to say positive things. Don't sweat it. Say, "Yeah!! Way to go, me!!!"
    :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it in the good spirit that, I'm sure, he meant it. We can't pretend people don't notice that we're big. He was impressed that you were doing something about it. I would feel proud if I were you. Like, "Yah, someone noticed how hard I'm working to be healthy!".
  • wagga7
    wagga7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a jogger of about 30+ years and I'd say that the jogger who said something like 'Way to got, keep going!'....noticed that you were struggling a bit(we were all beginners)...and knew instintively that you were probably a beginner and wanted to give you a bit of encouragement as you were now joining the 'fold' so to speak...:)
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others ladys Big UPSz 2 yall:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: ...I wouldnt thought nothin off it ...thats just me and she right maybe he been in your shoes...and just encouraging you..You neva know what shape people been in ya know...Everything that glitter aint Gold you Know So keep up the Good work and keep it moving Hun...Take it as a compliment.....:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    First off congrts for getting out there and running the track ( Its hard work) I would take what he said as kind works of a fellow human being. Perhaps he just wanted you to know that you were doing a good job. (you know the random acts of kindness thing) Then you take the happy feeling it gives you and pay it forward. Chances are he was being nice because there is a greater precentage of nice people out there than jerky people.:flowerforyou:
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I would totally take it as a compliment. This person was probably once in your shoes and understands your situation. Plus this person may liek encouraging others to become healthier.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am a runner too... and I find it a pretty supportive community. I always exchange 'good mornings' with fellow runners whenever I run....I think he/she was trying to be encouraging. I know we can feel sort of self-conscious when we run, but I think he/she was genuinely giving you a pat on the back...as am I...*way to go!*
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hell NO!! Take it as a compliment!!

This is a perfect example of what I post to the newbies who are afraid to walk, run, go to the gym, lift a weight. They think everyone is scowling and making fun, when the healthier people are thinking WOOT!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

I am guilty of saying that at a park on occasion. If I see someone who is struggling, and I see that look I had last year............"OMG, what was I THINKing...........I canNOT do this!!!"

I will say.......WOO HOO!!! Or Dang it is hot today!! Or your looking GREAT!! (if I have seen them before)

The person who said that to you likely started out struggling too, and feels a sisterhood with you.

Enjoy the compliment and
    000202C4.gif
  • cyndijoy
    cyndijoy Posts: 27
    Options
    Yeah, thanks, he probably just was being supportive. I get kind of sensitive about my weight, which I probably shoudn't, but I am. I actually wasn't jogging, but walking fast, but I admit to jogging part way, because a bee was circling my head and wouldn't leave me alone, so I was trying to outrun it. LOL. Of course, that's when everyone comes running by.:blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Yeah, thanks, he probably just was being supportive. I get kind of sensitive about my weight, which I probably shoudn't, but I am. I actually wasn't jogging, but walking fast, but I admit to jogging part way, because a bee was circling my head and wouldn't leave me alone, so I was trying to outrun it. LOL. Of course, that's when everyone comes running by.:blushing:

What ever it takes to get us moving, huh??:laugh: :laugh:

Your doing great, keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options

What ever it takes to get us moving, huh??:laugh: :laugh:

Your doing great, keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
    [/quote

BTY......cute truck!! Your so clever!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A compliment and an encouragement - the little part of you that's self conscious was irked but that's normal. :flowerforyou: Way to go. :flowerforyou: More people should be like he was!

I saw a woman today who obviously spends a LOT of time on her health regimen - so I told her "Your great work is showing!"
    She didn't seem amused but thanked me anyway. I don't care, I did my job today.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i dont think this was intended as an insult whatsoever. whenever i see joggers when im in the car i tell my boyfriend to honk...only to show solidarity! sometimes people just give off a vibe, and you said it yourself, you felt self conscious. he was trying to support you, it would feel great to me to see fellow joggers more often.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    A compliment and an encouragement - the little part of you that's self conscious was irked but that's normal. :flowerforyou: Way to go. :flowerforyou: More people should be like he was!

I saw a woman today who obviously spends a LOT of time on her health regimen - so I told her "Your great work is showing!"
    She didn't seem amused but thanked me anyway. I don't care, I did my job today.

lol.......a 65+ woman at the gym with GREAT arms walked by me.............I blurt out GREAT GUNS!! and she shoots me a dirty look......I :laugh: because that is my personality.

The trainer told me later she speaks only Spanish and probably didnt understand the expression!!

I must watch who I speak to:blushing:
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went to the local metropark yesterday to attempt the 3 mile path, which I did. Anyway, it was quite busy with joggers, bikers, power walkers, etc. So here I go, sweating my *kitten* off, when some jogger comes at me, and says "Way to go! Good job!" And keeps going. I mutter thanks, and continue on. The thing is, I was both gratified AND insulted. Am I even normal for feeling this way? I admit I'm self conscious of how I look, but I don't think he said that to any skinny chicks. As I type this and see what I'm saying, I think I should take it the way he said it. But I still felt kind of...oh, I don't know....like he was condescending. Maybe it's from years of being overweight and teased that I got this way, but I dunno. :frown:

I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I'm doing a walk to run program and was running at the time when someone on a riding lawn mower gave me a thumbs up and said, "good job!" I wasn't sure how to take it either! :huh: My coworkers were trying to convince me that it was a compliment, but I thought it was odd and felt like I needed to get my *kitten* of the couch more often!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I doubt he was being condescending. Don't be self conscious. :smile: Maybe he was once in your position and thought he'd just offer some encouragement. Whenever I see someone out running, walking, cycling, or whatever, I think, and sometimes say, "Good for you!" I still have a bit to lose before I reach my goal, so I'm not one of the "skinny" people out running or biking. I just think it's nice to say positive things. Don't sweat it. Say, "Yeah!! Way to go, me!!!"
    :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
    I agree. I will see some people "kickin' butt" on their workouts and I really respect their efforts so I will tell them. They always seem to appreciate the comment. I hike alot for exercise and I saw a man who went up and down the mountain 3 times. I had to stop myself from saying something about how great his body looked from all that effort!:blushing: I'm happily married but he was a site for sore eyes!:blushing:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I'm doing a walk to run program and was running at the time when someone on a riding lawn mower gave me a thumbs up and said, "good job!" I wasn't sure how to take it either! :huh: My coworkers were trying to convince me that it was a compliment, but I thought it was odd and felt like I needed to get my *kitten* of the couch more often!

I take that kind of thing as a compliment - I'm proud of my hard work, and if someone recognizes it, it validates me....

I power-walked (with my 3lb weights in hand) by a woman who said "That's what I should be doing." -- to which I replied "I LOVE it, and it WORKS, and I feel GREAT!"

Why not share the love??
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options

I power-walked (with my 3lb weights in hand) by a woman who said "That's what I should be doing." -- to which I replied "I LOVE it, and it WORKS, and I feel GREAT!"

Why not share the love??
    Well said. I agree completely. :happy: