What's your motivation and reward???

Options
Just curious if anyone would like to share their motivation to lose weight and get healthy and/or the way they reward themselves to keep motivated.

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    My motivation is my son, my dad (who has lost 60 lbs with COPD), my own health (trying to prevent diabetes), and to prove someone wrong that said that I was a quitter at heart.

My rewards are seeing myself healthier, and being able to look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted. Too poor to afford anything else lol.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Question that is often asked. My answer is that my paternal side of the family usually dies at about 55 years old. I already have diet/exercise controlled diabetes, hypertension, and cholesterol. I'm hoping it will extend my life and the quality of my life.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A have a few things to help keep me motivated: staying healthy for my kids (lost both of my parents within 3 months of each other a few years ago), not wanting to be in that sad, guilty place I was before I lost the weight, and finally not wanting to disappoint my trainer.

To keep me from being bored and possibly slipping back into bad habits, I try to set some sort of fitness goal to reach for : an upcoming 5K, an indoor triathalon, warriordash, etc.

I don't have any material rewards. I revel in how good I feel, and how good I feel about myself! I never want to feel trapped/slave to food ever again.
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have just begun my journey. I feel really hopeful and motivated (due, in part, to finding MFP!) but I know that staying motivated will be a challenge. I know it's silly, and I'm self-conscious about posting this because it seems so self-indulgent, but I have made a list of little mini-goals and ideas to celebrate reaching them.

I started at 177. At 174, I celebrated that I was closer to 150 than 200, and got myself my first electric toothbrush. I'd been wanting to try one for years, but was hesitant about spending the money.

At 166.4, I will go from the "obese" BMI category into the "overweight" one, and I already bought myself a bottle of green apple cleansing gel. I won't open it until I reach the goal. It's fancier than I'd usually get for myself, but green apple scent makes me inexplicably happy, and the company uses organic, vegetarian, cruelty-free ingredients (important to me).

At 159.3 I'll have lost 10% of my starting weight, and I've noted it because so many reputable sites talk about how reducing your weight by even 5-10% can grant remarkable benefits for your health and well-being.

The list continues. It might be silly, but I worry that I'll lose motivation if I just keep my eyes on my end goal. It's too far away. I want to focus on happy and healthy milestones along the way, and reward myself with things that contribute to my sense of feeling good and taking care of myself.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few motivations, but the two motivations/rewards that are closest to being achieved and realized are these:
    -To feel fantastic about myself in the clothes that I wear, and to be more confident with myself.
    -To WOW my boyfriend when I finally see him again in mid-August.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    My motivation to initially lose all of my weight was to eat bad again.

After I lost it all 3 years ago (after 9 months of dieting) I cheated and have continued to cheat every weekend now.

Now I have other motivations up there like my lovely family--but FOOD is definitely still up there as I''ve classified myself as a overeater.