running regression (getting discouraged!)

Options
I've been doing couch to 5k for about the last 9 weeks and doing great. I have finished the program once before on a treadmill took a few weeks off then started the program over but on a track this time (much harder for me.) I've been stuck on week 6 for about 3 weeks and haven't been able to finish the runs that I did a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago I did the 20min run and now I can't even finish the 5min 8min 5min run of week 6 Day 1.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Maybe running too fast, I'm running at a comfortable pace if I slow down I feel very heavy and like I'm clomping my feet. It has been windy here the last few weeks and a little warmer but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

I also keep getting cramps in my side and stomach as I run! I need some help I'm just so frustrated with myself!!

Replies

• salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If it's a cramp in your right side it's because you're taking too shallow of breaths. It's been happening to me too. The diaphram isn't being lowered and straining your liver soooo what I've read (yet to do) is like put your fingers under your liver until the pain goes away also breath with your belly not chest. I find it hard to do :/ Like exhale enough like you would be blowing out birthday candles :D

And I'm in a funk too...I've been slower than when I first started and it's upsetting :(
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time too. I keep getting what I call side leg shin splints.. I can't go too many days in between of running.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Running outside is def harder! When on treadmill you are controlling the incline and everything about it whereas outside you just gotta run. I personally find that running outside gives me a "true" result of my running ability. I am also doing C25K running outside and i have repeated many days and weeks multiple times until i feel ready to move on to the next.

How much water are you drinking during your run because if you chug too fast while running it can give the side cramps...also this may sound funny but are you breathing properly? because if you arent getting enough oxygen inside your body that happens also
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this happens but I seem that I have periods when running is just harder. My times are slower, I'm not so comfortable, I feel "heavy" when I run. It seems to persist for a few days or a few weeks but then I get my running mojo back.

My suggestion is to have a look at what you are doing - do you need to slow down, change your workouts, have a few days rest, tie your shoes differently (don't laugh, it' makes a huge difference to my shins!), find new music to run to (180bpm seems to be the magic number for me, songs at this rate with a strong beat really get me moving again), cross train for a few days...... etc?

Try a few different things, but most important - just keep going and run through it!
  • jarredondo44
    jarredondo44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the cramping is due to dehydration. Make sure you are getting enought water in before your run especially as the weather gets warmer. Also you diet can make a big difference in you pace. To run you need to make sure you are not cutting your calories back too much or your performance will suffer. I started running with a running group the begining of this year and I have lost 33 pounds so far. In this short amount of time I have come to realize that what I eat definitly affects my run, good and bad.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    The heat will make a difference, even a few degrees. It leads you to another contributing factor, hydration. You could be over or under. If you recently changed the volume of your H20 intake in either direction, re-evaluate. Are you eating differently, type of food and or volume? Also, are you eating closer or farther away from the time you usually run? How are your shoes? Worn shoes or the wrong type for your gait can wreck a training program, especially for someone just starting out. If you are a bit heavy, and I'm not saying you are, the problem is amplified slightly.

One more thing. Week 6 may be a mental stumbling block as I recall. I have done that program 3 times, twice to get running and once to increase speed. Find something that motivates you to push harder and to quiet the voice that tells you that you can't finish.

Look at some of these questions and see if any apply. There are other factors but these are pretty basic. Good luck! You will conquer it in no time.
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can run over a mile on the treadmill without stopping but as soon as I started outside I couldn't even run 2 mins. My husband had me try something new. If you are running on a track run the straight ways and walk the corners. Man I did that and I finally ran (plus walked) my first 5k today in 36:08 mins. Keep it up you can do it. As for cramps I am getting the same cramps and didnt know why. Good Luck!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't know why this happens but I seem that I have periods when running is just harder. My times are slower, I'm not so comfortable, I feel "heavy" when I run. It seems to persist for a few days or a few weeks but then I get my running mojo back.

My suggestion is to have a look at what you are doing - do you need to slow down, change your workouts, have a few days rest, tie your shoes differently (don't laugh, it' makes a huge difference to my shins!), find new music to run to (180bpm seems to be the magic number for me, songs at this rate with a strong beat really get me moving again), cross train for a few days...... etc?

Try a few different things, but most important - just keep going and run through it!

Oh yea, and then there's the MOJO.
  • alltalk199
    alltalk199 Posts: 275
    Options
    Keep at it babe! You got this and you will have your moments! Maybe drink heaps of water, breathing very important as well. I have completed C25k and absolutely love it, tried running on the road and Yes, it is definately harder on the body and such a challenge for me to mix up my training. It's not about speed for me and I know that will come in time as I drop off the weight, and at the moment I'm hovering around Week 10 - C210k, so I know what you mean, but I will keep at it, cause this will pass!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Maybe not enough "fuel in the gas tank"? I was having the same problem when I first started so I started eating a Tbs. of peanut butter before I put my work out clothes on. Not sure if it was the extra protein or if it was just a placebo, but whatever the reason, I was able to get over that hump and I am now working on training for a half marathon! GASP!
    You CAN do this. Tell that voice in your head to either change its attitude or shut the hell up.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've been told that if you feel like you couldn't sing along with your music or carry on a slightly winded conversation then you're going to fast. I tend to sing along to my music just because it distracts me, I also can't stand to run on a track or on a treadmill. The weather definitely makes a difference, I feel like dying when its hot or cold outside. i'm currently doing C25K and honestly day to day it varies, I did week 4 day 1 a few days ago and ran it no problem then I did day 2 today and I wanted to DIE at the end of my run. If you're not getting enough sleep at night then that can matter too. I would say slow your pace a little and do whatever you can to push through, breathe deep through your cramps. I've also noticed I run better if I don't chug water during my run and just wait and drink it after. Running outside is much much harder, I trained for my first 5k on a treadmill and I was running an easy 5 miles, when I went to run the 5k I literally about DIED. I say just try to push through it the best you can, keep telling yourself only a little further and slow down if you need to
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too. It was a combination of running too fast and running too often. I took a couple days off and then spaced my running out a bit more. It seemed like once I cleared that big hurdle of 20 minutes straight I just wanted to run and run. My body decided I needed to be reasonable lol.
  • lindseymjackson0501
    Options
    I second slowing down. Though I'm not on the C25K program, I was running 5K about 3x/week and out of nowhere I couldn't finish them anymore, was having a lot of trouble breathing. I took some advice to slow down (went from 9 min/mile to 10 min/mile). It has helped me get out of my slump and I'm able to finish the 5Ks again.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're regressing, it might be due to lack of recovery. Remember that your body might not recover as fast from exercise if you're at a large caloric defecit. I'm no expert on C25K, but I doubt it was designed with people being on a serious diet. So adjust the program as necessary. Take an extra rest day here and there, or mix it up. You could try some moderate intervals for one week, then rest a bit and go back to the C25k program.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Maybe not enough "fuel in the gas tank"? I was having the same problem when I first started so I started eating a Tbs. of peanut butter before I put my work out clothes on. Not sure if it was the extra protein or if it was just a placebo, but whatever the reason, I was able to get over that hump and I am now working on training for a half marathon! GASP!
    You CAN do this. Tell that voice in your head to either change its attitude or shut the hell up.

That's what happened to me when I started running. Lot's of times now, I'll eat a banana or drink some V8 an hour to an hour and a half before going to the gym and it makes all the difference for me.
  • brookeg20
    brookeg20 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been a runner for a while, and I'm training for a half now. I think everyone has days or weeks where running is just harder. Sometimes I feel like it's a breeze, and some runs feel like every step takes all the energy I have! Take a look at your journal. If it has been going on for a while, you might not be fueling right. You could also try running the traning week you last felt comfortable with and build back up. You might be trying to do too much too soon, so the pain is from overtraining.

Congrats to you that you have stuck with it long enough to know the difference between a "good" run and a harder one! I think a lot of people give up in the beginning whey they are all still hard. Good luck!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Regarding the side cramps, I would say it is either you are eating too close to running or too shallow breath as someone else had mentioned. I typically do not run until close to 2 hours after eating. I also try to focus on my breath, counting in for a count of 5 and breathing out a count of 5.
    I personally find running on the treadmill harder than outside. I used to be the complete opposite, now I call my treadmill the dreadmill! I started with C25K and have done several 5K, placed in a few, and have done one half marothon and a 10K. Training currently for another half in the fall.
    Keep with it. No harm/foul in walking sometimes. Maybe go back to week 5 and see how you do with that.
    Good luck!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You're strides could be too long and try breathing from your stomach.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Loathe it. My wife loves it. She can do it on a whim. I do it still. Even when I schedule it and don't feel like doing it, I suck it up and go. I'm doing this for all the people that said I could never do it. Also cuz I like eating. If I get a side stitch on my 4-6 mile runs, I just slow down and control my breathing. Helps every time. Go at your pace. You're not racing anyone at the moment. You can do it.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can definitely be a factor when it comes to cramps.. Lately I've been drinking a glass of hot/warm water with a squeeze of lemon before I head out and it's worked wonders...

Keep at it and don't give up!