Help my ugly butt!

Options
Hi there-
I've been working out for the past few years; losing baby weight, getting healthier, getting stronger... I'm pretty happy with where I am. I fit better in clothes... I like my nice biceps... I'm working on the six pack... Maybe a four pack?!?! LOL! My quads are nice and tight...

HOWEVER, as soon as I turn around in the mirror and take a look at my BUTT and my upper HAMSTRINGS, I want to cry! Honestly, if you just looked at that particular area, you'd think I sit around on my rear all day eating donuts!

I realize I can't just spot reduce the ugly butt away... But there has to be SOMETHING to do to help! Something other than lipo!
I do a lot of cardio; mostly the elliptical when the kiddos are sleeping or keeping busy. I also do strength training, but am limited to the equipment I have here at home. Dumbbells. The heaviest sets being 15 and 20 lbs.

TIA!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats should help. Use your dum bells for extra weight if squats/lunges are too easy. :)

You can also do deep lunges with your back foot on a step or chair.

Best of luck!
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Weighted Squats and Deadlifts!!! I suggest going to BodyBuilding.com and looking at their exercise database for the demos because proper form IS KEY! Then get you some heavy weights and go to town. Think about every hurt and burn as honing that area to be into what you want, and go for Personal Records. You'll have something to be proud of in no time.
  • PositiveMind007
    Options
    Definitely squats are very effective and more if you do them with the weights. I am a stay at home mom and I have a step bench, dumb bells, and a Yoga mat. I also do Tae Bo and Jillian Michael's DVD. Jillian has many good exercises for the rear. You can also look up on Youtube for strength training for your glutes. In all sincerity Youtube has helped me alot. I have so many videos with strength training exercises. Good Luck! =)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Go to the local high school…, walk or run up & down the bleacher of the football field.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats and lunges, plus deadlifts. Your butt will thank you.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Youtube "the butt bible"
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds like me last year. I was always so concerned with the muscles in the front of my body but not the back. I recently have started to really focus on my butt. I've been doing a very glute-centric workout that I got from Bret Contreras' blog (The Glute Guy) and I've seen some decent progress. Lots of squats, lunges and glute bridges. I doubt I'll ever have a "bubble butt" yet from where it was last year at this time - definite improvement IMO.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    squat squat squat and SQUAT!

Also try the slightly vertical angled leg press and bring your legs as close to your body as you can before you push the weight away. You really want to feel it in your glutes.

I also love the abductor machine! If you are not familiar with what that is, it is a machine where your legs are spread apart by weight and you have to push your knees in to the middle and then back out again.

I have got a few compliments on my butt which I never used to get so I think I'm doing something right!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I would also advise that when you do squats, use the abductor etc that you use a weight that you only just make to 15 reps.

Do 15 reps, stop for 20 seconds, 15 more, stop for 20 and then finish with 15.

It will be more effective than just doing regular squats with no weight or using weight that you can manage easily.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you have the opportunity, join a gym... Most have a lot of lower body machines to help with these areas. Also, many women carry their weight first in the hips... That may be what you are experiencing. Without seeing pics it would be hard to say exactly what would be most beneficial... Hip Adduction, Hip Abduction, Just about any lower body workout should help. Lift heavy too.. If your weights are too light, they just really don't do a lot. Many suggest light weights with high reps for women but honestly recent writings suggest that women should lift heavy like men... (Not likely to bulk up like a man due to hormonal differences). Otherwise, if a gym is not available,

Squats
    lunges
    lying on your side and doing leg lift (abduction)

Best of luck on meeting your goals.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying but sometimes it's just genetics and the way you are.......
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying but sometimes it's just genetics and the way you are.......

I used to think that too but I've come to realize that everyone can have a better butt if they put the work into it. Of course, you are right, some of the equation is genetics but not all of it. There's always a way to improve IMO.
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    Thx for all the great suggestions. I definitely can't do the gym thing right now, so I'll see if I can keep getting heavier weights here at home. I like lifting heavy (or heavier), but not always easy to do w/o the gym.

I'm sure genetics play a huge part, bu I'm not willing to just use that as an excuse! Want to work it as best I can!