Anyone with hypothyroism and trying to lose weight?

Options
Hi all,

I've been diganosed with hypothyroism about 10 months ago.

I went to the dr. after I experienced bad rash on my body and I thought it was due to allergies or food poison.

I was very surprised to hear that I had hypothyroism. The first blood testing showed that my TSH (ultrasensitive) was 13.930H.

I did the second blood testing after my rash was gone to make sure... (TSH came out to be 5.770 H).

After reading many threads about hypothyroism medications, I decided not to take the medications.

The side effects of medication (from the threads included... gaining weight if the medication dose isn't right,

cont. taking the medication for rest of your life, etc)

I am currently 5'4 and weight about 140lb. I am not heavily overweight, but I had hard time losing weight.

Do you guys think I should start taking the medication? or do you think with healthy life styles the TSH would decrease to the

normal? I think the normal range is 0.270-4.2...

Anyone with hypothyroism and taking medications, please reply and tell me about your experience with medication (and what

medication you are taking)

Thank you so much in advance =)

Replies

• jroser37
    jroser37 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have hypothyroidism. I am on synthroid. Basically I have had it for 15 years. I am 231 lbs and 5'3. I don;t know, but I think that once you have the disease you have it forever. I could be wrong... I am not a Dr. The main thing is to keep an eye on the TSH levels. I go for bloodwork every 3 months.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My diet and nutrition book says that you need to be sure that the table salt in your household is iodized. Check your vitamin bottle to be sure that it is supplying the recommended 150 mcg of iodine per day minimum. If you are not taking a multivitamin you might find it helps to take one. Most people get about 1100 mcg of iodine in their diet every day without evening trying, so this will probably make no difference. Seafood contains iodine. Avoiding fish and iodized salt would not be a good idea. You could also see a nutritionist to be sure you are eating well.

I would take the medicine, because you will definitely gain weight just looking at food. Other symptoms are thin, coarse hair, dry skin, poor cold tolerance, and a low, husky voice. Why not just take the medicine and feel better? It's not going to get better with time. Yes, you do need to take it your whole life. Pets can get this too so I am trying to learn about it, as I may have a dog who has it.

Ruth
    Hi all,

I've been diganosed with hypothyroism about 10 months ago.

I went to the dr. after I experienced bad rash on my body and I thought it was due to allergies or food poison.

I was very surprised to hear that I had hypothyroism. The first blood testing showed that my TSH (ultrasensitive) was 13.930H.

I did the second blood testing after my rash was gone to make sure... (TSH came out to be 5.770 H).

After reading many threads about hypothyroism medications, I decided not to take the medications.

The side effects of medication (from the threads included... gaining weight if the medication dose isn't right,

cont. taking the medication for rest of your life, etc)

I am currently 5'4 and weight about 140lb. I am not heavily overweight, but I had hard time losing weight.

Do you guys think I should start taking the medication? or do you think with healthy life styles the TSH would decrease to the

normal? I think the normal range is 0.270-4.2...

Anyone with hypothyroism and taking medications, please reply and tell me about your experience with medication (and what

medication you are taking)

Thank you so much in advance =)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There is a group here for people with thyroid problems that may be helpful. You may wish to look into Intermittent Fasting + Weight Training. My friend with Hashimoto's has seen great results with that combination.