Strenght training??

Options
JasAbyG
JasAbyG Posts: 39 Member
With strength training is it 3 x upper body, 3x lower, 3x core a week
OR
3-5 strength training a week? (any body part)

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.

I do full body 3x/week.

Body builders do splits and work each part about 1-2 times per week.

Different programs do different splits.

There are literally hundreds of beginner programs that are free online. Pick one.

Or read New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    here's one place to start: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

Answer a few questions and it will give you a couple of programs to choose from.
  • JasAbyG
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner, then 3x full body/week is best IMO. That will work best for 6 months or so til you graduate from untrained to novice and are moving towards intermediate. After that I recommend switching to a split incorporating the big lifts. There are a ton of good routines out there. A lot of the standard bodybuilder routines are not suited for people at a caloric deficit though. Here is a simple one I recommend to folks trying to lose weight and eating at enough of a deficit that recovery is an issue:

(2-3 warm-up sets at bar, 70%, 85% working weight, ~5, 3-5, 2-3 reps for warm-ups)
    3 working sets, 6-8 reps at 6-8RM ("working weight"), 8-10 reps at working weight -15%, 10-12 reps at working weight -30%

Monday:
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Wednesday:
    Overhead Press
    Chin-up

Friday:
    Squat
    Dip

Hope that's helpful!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do full body 2 times a week.....cardio the other 2 days a week, min 45 min each session
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • JasAbyG
    Options
    Awesome, thank you again. It is helpful :-)
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There are a million different ways to split but I do half body 4-5 times a week (2 days on, 1 day off).
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    If you are a beginner, then 3x full body/week is best IMO. That will work best for 6 months or so til you graduate from untrained to novice and are moving towards intermediate.

This^^ if you are a beginner full body three times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) works great. Keep it simple with mostly compound movements that also work your core. Learn the techniques and proper form of each movement and do them right. I see so many people in the gym with bad form and too much weight knowing they are not getting much from it (possibly could do more harm than good). Once you done this for a while and you start to stall and get bored then you could move to a more intermediate routine. Go to bodybuilding.com like some of the other posters said and check out the forums they have some good routines for beginners and some great advice.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner, then 3x full body/week is best IMO. That will work best for 6 months or so til you graduate from untrained to novice and are moving towards intermediate. After that I recommend switching to a split incorporating the big lifts. There are a ton of good routines out there. A lot of the standard bodybuilder routines are not suited for people at a caloric deficit though. Here is a simple one I recommend to folks trying to lose weight and eating at enough of a deficit that recovery is an issue:

(2-3 warm-up sets at bar, 70%, 85% working weight, ~5, 3-5, 2-3 reps for warm-ups)
    3 working sets, 6-8 reps at 6-8RM ("working weight"), 8-10 reps at working weight -15%, 10-12 reps at working weight -30%

Monday:
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Wednesday:
    Overhead Press
    Chin-up

Friday:
    Squat
    Dip

Hope that's helpful!

Not bad, but

Squat ALL the days!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with squat ALL the days for novice trainers eating at a surplus. On a deficit I think 2x per week is the max, and this routine allows 3 days from squat to deadlift and 4 from deadlift to squat, which allows time for the lower back to recover. Most novices need more time for lower back adaptation when eating at a deficit.
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump