Homemade Onion Rings?!

Options
I don't know if anyone here watches Hungry Girl's show on Food Network - BUT, I have had an episode saved about onion rings and I made them today! They were delicious!!!

These are some of the directions for this delicious LOW CAL treat!

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Take a WHITE onion and cut it up into rings (remove all the ick, and your eyes will burn so be for-warned for tears :sad: )

Take a delicious and healthy cereal (about a cup or so) and blended it up until it is a powder (I used Multi-Grain Cheerios, they get really powdery so heads up)

Add any spices you want to the cereal to give your breading a kick. OPTIONAL. (I used cracked pepper and natures seasoning)

Take an egg and beat the day lights out of it until the yolk and whites are nicely blended (or as nice as they can get) If you cannot do egg, then get the substitute!

Take the onion ring and dip it into the egg

Take the egg dipped onion ring and dip it into the cereal-spice-mix (use tongs or a fork, your fingers get wicked nasty :noway: )
Put the breaded onion rings onto a pan that has been sprayed with non stick
BAKE for 20-25 minutes

I :heart: THEM!
For the dipping sauce I took one serving size of mayo and one serving size of low cal ketchup and mixed it together with a little pepper! (deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious! :wink: )

BUT that is all I have for you! Hungry Girl makes some tasty things and these by far were delicious I cannot wait to make them again, something I defiantly will be doing!

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
    Here's another recipe from the cookbook, Appetite for Reduction (a vegan cookbook)by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

http://www.godairyfree.org/201101044821/News/Nutrition-Headlines/Appetite-for-Reduction-OMG-Oven-Baked-Onion-Rings.html

(the author of the article got permission to reprint it so I thought it would be better to link to it rather than copy and paste)
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    I've used panko breadcrumbs before too and they are so good.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wish I had made some of these two days ago. Every couple of weeks I made chicken or turkey burgers. I crush up cream crackers, use an egg yolk and cover the chicken or turkey breast (I batter it until it's a little thinner), cover it with the crumbs of the crackers.

I add onion powder, garlic powder, herbs and black pepper to the crumb mix. Put it on a wholewheat bun, a little mayo and some lettuce and it tastes exactly like a McDonalds Chicken Sandwich.

Might try this with onions when we next have burgers.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!!