sigh.... winge or cry for help, I'm not sure anymore...

Options
Motivation, money, time, diet, exercise... sleep - oh, please let me have more sleep, let alone find any sort of time to actually do exercise. If there is not enough time to exercise, how is there enough time to use mfp effeciently?
I am a uni student in my final two trimesters and there is just not enough time in the day for everything I need to do. I am studying game design, a creative degree, which means the assignments never have a true end point. I have been struggling to find any time to exercise since the trimester started and absolutely no time to really use mfp; but what am I meant to do. I don't have an option especially when a big assignment is due and I have to stay up till midnight for a minimum of 5 days to get that done plus the project management for my major work.

I am actually trying weigh up whether I can get up early and go to the gym before I have to go into uni, but then there is issues of sleep and money. Is it worth going to the gym if it means I only get up to 6 hours sleep a night? Also, the gym costs $300 for 3 months membership, but what happens when I have a full week or 2 when I cannot go because of a major assignment and having to stay up till 2/3am doing work? Is it worth me spending that money when I wont be able to go in those weeks.

Yes this is a winge post "oh, poor me I'm a uni student" (which frustrates me enough as it is), but it is also me asking for oppinions and motivational help.

What would you do?

Replies

• scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    :( I hate it when everything gets on top of you, and know how you feel. I try to eat healthier when I dont have time. Like I would ear some radishes instead of chocolate to help me think at 2am, and go for short walks for breaks and do squats and things whiledrying my hair, cleaning teeth or waiting for the kettle to boil. I cut down to using mfp while I eat and before I go to bed, and log water and numbers of fruit and veg rather than weighing ad adding everything I eat, which takes way to long! I dont know if this will be much use to you, but hope things get better. We're here if you ever need to rant! xx
  • Trivpr
    Trivpr Posts: 4
    Options
    Ohh, I know how you feel! I went through something similar in grad school, and I've worked in film so I know that the long hours can take their toll. It is very difficult to balance, but I found that taking short breaks throughout the day to just walk around and clear my head helped! I know it sounds cheesy, but when I had to sit for 12 hours in the library every day, I'd get up for 10 minutes out of every hour and just go outside/walk up and down the stairs and jump around a bit. Maybe while your projects are rendering (I'm not sure if that's what they call it in the UK) you can move about? I used to hide in the stacks and do yoga stretches or jumping jacks - I looked ridiculous, I'm sure, but no one could see me and I felt way better afterwards! It wasn't going to help me shed pounds, of course, but it did help me refocus and not feel like I was just sitting around all day.

I was broke also and am one of those people that needs almost eight hours a night too, so I know that sometimes you have more time and sometimes you don't, but just try! Remember that physical activity can help you in ALL aspects of your life (as can staying away from sugar/too much snacking, which I was totally guilty of in school also) and work extra hard on exercise, etc. when you do have more time.

You can do it!! :-)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student, so I've been there. Definitely try to eat better when you can't control other factors. I also recommend taking a 10-15 minute walk every 2 hours while working because it really does help clear your mind and make you more productive.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about joining a gym. Just walk outside. Or if you've got a bike, cycle as well. Get a good video for strength work like pushups etc. Or spend the money on a treadmill.

Just do what you can when you can. Its better than doing nothing at all.

Even though you may not be able to plan meals, just type whatever it is you eat into MFP. At least you'll keep track.

As for exercise, see exercise as your "clear your head" time, so when you get back you'll be even better at your study.

And try your best to be organised as best you can about your workload. I think if you find no time at all to look after yourself you'll end up worse off. You are worth it. Look after yourself with every minute you can spare, even if you have to MFP on the toilet on your phone lol.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments. There are some great suggestions here and I guess I just have to try and work something out, or watch what I eat until the end of the year.