Eating more calories to lose weight...?

Hi guys

Well I have been following the 1200 cals for a few weeks now and nothing seems to be happening, in fact I have gained 1lb. I am doing Insanity too and eating back my calories. I was thinking of upping my calories to about 1400/1500, my BMR is around 1280. Im 5'1 and weight 115lb. Has anyone else upped their calories and started to lose weight? Im a bit scared to eat more calories!

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Hi siliisobel, your TDEE seems around 2200-2300 calories.
    You could try to eat around 1600/1700 calories and see how it goes :-) as for the pound you gained, only water :-)
  • bradley081
    bradley081 Posts: 16 Member
    I was just about to make a post about this...might as well just put it here...lol I joined MFP in May...and it set my calories at 1730 to lose 2lbs. I thought I was pretty strict with sticking with my calories but I saw that a lot of days I wasn't even eating all my calories and not eating back exercise cals. Long story short...the first week, according to the scales I dropped a couple of pounds and then NOTHING! Up a pound or two...down a pound or two... I was getting frustrated after a good solid month. As I got to looking in to it...I found my BMR to be around 2200 - 2300 cals...and I went to another website and enter my info...it suggested I eat 2165 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. At the beginning of this week, I made the adjustments in my cals and forced myself to eat all of them. I intentionally refrained from going to the gym this week just to hopefully assist in getting my body used to the increase in cals. Although I have not recorded a loss on here yet and won't until tues I have been excited to see my weight steadly dropping since I started eating more cals. I think I just might be on to something here...woo hoo.
  • samlou22
    samlou22 Posts: 23
    I'd say you don't need to lose anymore anyway!
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member

Ya know ... that popped into my head too. But who are we to determine what feels right for someone else? At 5'9 I would look like a skeleton at 115, lol!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member

Ya know ... that popped into my head too. But who are we to determine what feels right for someone else?

^ Yep. She's still in the healthy range. I'm 5'0" and 105 lb, give or take a pound on any given day. I'd like to lose maybe 2 lbs or so.

To the OP:
    You can just try it. I found that eating more helped me enormously, and I'm going to be increasing my calories again, actually. If you're really active, you need the energy to keep your body going. No use in under eating - you'll be crabby, frustrated with the results/stagnation and want to quit. Just try it out and see if you get the response you want. If not, you can go back to the way you have been going. What have you got to lose?