Is it OK to have a net calorie goal of 1000 cals or less?

Options
13»

Replies

• kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    my intake varies from 600 something to 1000 but averages at around 800. i have had the odd day when its gone over, my diary is open, i actually do eat well.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    i,v looked at your diary and you are not eating well you are not getting enough protein especially for your age and you are over your sugar intake your calories are far too low but its up to you what you do what are your ironlevels like .
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer!
    I've been doing about 800 net calories a day because I have 30 more pounds to lose, but based on everyone's responses it sounds like I need to up it somewhat.
    Oh christ yes - you will want to work on that sooner rather than later, because your metabolism will be so suppressed at goal that any semblance of normal eating will put the weight straight back on you. At 24, that is very, very low.

I think this is alarmist. I think you need to listen to your body. If what you're doing isn't working then try something else. Just don't try something new every week based on varying advice here.
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • rusialeelee
    rusialeelee Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm having the same concern/confusion... my net intake is always under 1000 because I eat 1300 and go exercise. I don't understand why I have to exercise to burn calories only to have to eat more..... I really wish an expert/nutritionist could answer this question ...

additional information
    I'm 21 and 5'7
    1300 is enough to satisfy me -- i actually get pretty full throughout most of my day.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to eat around 2500 net per day when I can hardly eat 1500 total. Its rare that I reach my 2030 goal not counting my burned calories.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Net. And even then, it's quite low. You have to make sure you're eating back most of your excercise calories too.
    It depends on the person, if I ate back most of mine I'd gain weight. I'm usually burning 600 calories a day.
    If eating back your exercise calories makes you gain, it just means you've miscalculated. It's physically impossible to gain weight while eating less than you burn.

No it's not. I think you mean physically impossible to gain fat while consuming less calories than you burn. The problem is that it's nearly impossible to know exactly what you burn, or exactly what you consume. Every morsel that passes your lips is not necessarily absorbed by your body and can vary from person to person. Likewise, the amount of calories burned will vary from person to person. Even a HRM will only give you an estimate and depending on many variable can be off by quite a bit.

This. I think a lot of people forget this. I use an HRM and I've always had a feeling the calorie burns it gives me is a little too high to be accurate. I treat anything that has to do with numbers and fitness/nutritions/weightloss as a guideline and allow room for error/miscalculation (BMI, the scale, calories burned, calories consumed, etc.) as these numbers will never be 100% accurate for most.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Net. And even then, it's quite low. You have to make sure you're eating back most of your excercise calories too.
    It depends on the person, if I ate back most of mine I'd gain weight. I'm usually burning 600 calories a day.
    If eating back your exercise calories makes you gain, it just means you've miscalculated. It's physically impossible to gain weight while eating less than you burn.

Maybe the poster calced everything fine and the averages/estimates don't apply to her particularly well. I would lose extremely slowly on 1800/day. I think the 1200 floor makes it possible to actually not have a deficit for some.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs eating 1500 a day, netting 700 calories a day or there about. I then got seriously ill with liver tumors for 6 months and even though it was very stressful I didn't gain 1lb back, once I was starting to feel better I've gone back to the same plan and I'm losing well again. This being said I am under supervision of a dietitian and I am still considered obese. I've been told this is fine (by 3 dietitians) until I'm getting quite close to goal, then I will increase x
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am so confused by this, too. I have friends who eat less than 1500 calories a day but also burn over 1200 calories doing hours of aerobics. Net calorie wise, they're not eating much, but they're dropping the weight. Is this healthy?
    No it is not healthy. Sure they are dropping the weight. But they are keeping the fat. You want to lose fat not muscle and water. NET over 1200 a day.

You DO lose the fat, that is the body's stored energy, it will burn the fat if the calories are all gone.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    No
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to eat around 2500 net per day when I can hardly eat 1500 total. Its rare that I reach my 2030 goal not counting my burned calories.

You don't have to eat 2500/day unless you believe in the mythical starvation mode. It is great to lose weight at a snail's pace but many people give up because they don't see results for weeks on end or at all because they're aiming for such a tiny window of deficit that they overshoot it and have no actual deficit at all. The numbers aren't facts, they're estimates based on the whole population. Each of us is different.

I would say listen to your body and eat at the deficit you prefer, as long as you get sufficient nutrition. You can do so at 1200 calories/day.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat 2500/day unless you believe in the mythical starvation mode. It is great to lose weight at a snail's pace but many people give up because they don't see results for weeks on end or at all because they're aiming for such a tiny window of deficit that they overshoot it and have no actual deficit at all. The numbers aren't facts, they're estimates based on the whole population. Each of us is different.

I would say listen to your body and eat at the deficit you prefer, as long as you get sufficient nutrition. You can do so at 1200 calories/day.

I have been losing 1-3 pounds a week depending on my week. I am not worried or trying to lose more the 1 pound per week. I am happy with what ever I get. The only thing I am struggling with is getting enough potassium, but I'm working on that. Everything else is great.

I feel like if I've eaten healthy and am full then I am good. I am not starving my self by any means.