Skinny B**** Book

Options
snowgrrl83
snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm in the middle of reading the Skinny Bi*** book. So far I love it, this book is somewhat hillarious and over-the-top...but makes sense and is inspirational. I take it as a challenge!
There eating style is definitly challenging and I would like to take steps toward their way of eating.

Their way:
Cut out soda (and diet soda) and coffee. (Drink water and green tea)
Cut out artificial sweetners such as aspertame, splenda (sucralose).
Cut out food with added sugar. (stick to fruits)
Go organic.
Go un-processed as much as possible.
Go vegan (I don't know if I can do this completely, but I can def. cut down on meats and dairy).

I know that this is intense...and the book says to try and read labels....
I was trying to find a cereal last night that wouldn't be full of sugar, that would be whole-grain and wouldn't be too processed...but I had trouble finding one.
Every box that I picked up had ingredients that I could barely pronounce or had never heard of, was full of sugar or included milk products, .....Any suggestions?

Would anyone like to discuss this book with me? Like it? Hate it?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Most cereals are junk, and fall into the "processed carbs" category. Keep in mind that there are very few real regulations about what a company has to do to label something as "whole grain." So just avoid cereal. Have oatmeal instead, or better yet just have fruit.

Edit: and DON'T go vegan! That's something to do based on moral values, not b/c you want to be healthy or look good. Otherwise the plans seem good. Although coffee doesn't need to be cut out if you drink it black, or with very little cream/milk.
  • theMIDDLE
    theMIDDLE Posts: 64
    Options
    I loved it. It was cover to cover common sense. Esp loved the section on how aspartame got FDA approval. Gruesome. I've been veg since I was 7 and did vegan all last year. It's no secret that dairy slows you down and makes your body feel crappy. That being said, I had to break vegan and incorporate SOME dairy back into my life after my hair was falling out. Not a good look for me. I'm having a hard time and feeling like **** about it. I'm still not buying products that test and trying to reconcile how I feel about contributing to the exploitation industry. I also love what they said about not drinking your calories. Makes sense. I think the way it's written helps these concepts "click" with people more than your average clinical, boring, monotone approach to these subjects.
  • snowgrrl83
    Options
    I agree - I'm still reading the book and I'm not done with it yet.... will probably be done reading it this weekend though :)
    I know that the no-nonsense writing style doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me...lol.
  • snowgrrl83
    Options
    There must be some all-natural cereal all there? I mean, c'mon, oats, bran and some almonds or something without processed crap in it. Anything?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The first time I read it it was NOT what I expected. I did not know it was a "how to be an organic vegan" book. About 6 months after that I got it I cut out processed food as my new year's resolution. If I wanted something "processed" I had to make it myself - which actually got me to my first goal weight! Because I cut out processed food that meant no lunch meat, cheese slices (like kraft singles), bread with any additives, or "diet" anything. After a while I started buying less regular meat and more nuts, produce, and fresh baked bread at the farmer's market. When I realized I didn't have to eat meat to get protein I stopped buying it at all and then I found out I am sensitive to dairy (it causes migraines). Then I re-read the book and it all made sense, although I realized that I had already become and organic vegan! :laugh:

2 points here: 1. Take baby steps. Oatmeal is a great breakfast food but make sure you get protein and fat in, too. Peanut butter on sprouted grain bread is very filling and quick/easy.

2. Think a little outside the box to change your perspective - literally. How much can you buy without a box or package? That's your unprocessed food. Lots of produce, dried beans, brown rice, quinoa, organic meats (local if you can), bulk nuts, etc. This way, if you want something like a cookie you have to make it yourself. This will definitely reduce the junk you eat and even when you do have a treat it will be free from chemical garbage.
  • snowgrrl83
    Options
    I've definitly already made many changes as I've been a "calorie counter" for about 2 years now.
    I've already learnt not to cut out too much fats (or else you binge and your body essentially goes crazy).
    I've also learnt that cutting too many carbs makes me lethargic.
    I've done the high-protein type of diet... it made me pretty "ripped" for a girl without even trying.
    Now I want to cut out the processed, diet drinks and so on. I've given a bit of it a "go" before, attempting the "clean eating" style...but it wasn't a complete effort and my macros were off.

Now that I've figured out my macros, I'm ready to give it a go again, cut out processed crap, added-sugar products, and cut down on animal products.
    I think it will be a process and not an "overnight thing"....
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know why they suggest taking out coffee. It has no calories unless you add sweeteners, sugar, milk or cream. Coffee with a little low fat milk should be fine.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    all bran is one of the less processed not terribly sugared up cereals out there... i spruce it up with a tad of granola...
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm in the middle of reading the Skinny Bi*** book. So far I love it, this book is somewhat hillarious and over-the-top...but makes sense and is inspirational. I take it as a challenge!
    There eating style is definitly challenging and I would like to take steps toward their way of eating.

Their way:
    Cut out soda (and diet soda) and coffee. (Drink water and green tea)
    Cut out artificial sweetners such as aspertame, splenda (sucralose).
    Cut out food with added sugar. (stick to fruits)
    Go organic.
    Go un-processed as much as possible.
    Go vegan (I don't know if I can do this completely, but I can def. cut down on meats and dairy).

I know that this is intense...and the book says to try and read labels....
    I was trying to find a cereal last night that wouldn't be full of sugar, that would be whole-grain and wouldn't be too processed...but I had trouble finding one.
    Every box that I picked up had ingredients that I could barely pronounce or had never heard of, was full of sugar or included milk products, .....Any suggestions?

Would anyone like to discuss this book with me? Like it? Hate it?

I was amped and bought this book a while back.. read it and was even into it for a while til I realized it was a big SELL on vegetarian lifestyle. which i thought was kind of a shady approach. it was like use my weakness to sucker me into becoming a vegan/vegetarian.. not that there is anything wrong with it... but at th eend of the day people have lost weight eating non organic, non vegetarian food. I was even falling into it, and then I caught on and was pissed. SO I think I hate it. I am all for informing, but to sucker ppl in... kinda lame approach. Just my thoughts. Instead I read Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet which takes being mindful of consumption from a totally different, more objective approach.. Clean EAtng ROCKS!