C25K Progress at 240+lbs

Options
I just finished week two of C25K and I feel great, I lost 3.5lbs this week which takes me down to 13.5lbs total in 4 weeks.

I have been reading a lot about water retention due to peroids...starvation mode due to eating too few calories...extreme soreness from starting a new exercise program...and a lot of people getting discouraged.

A few pointers that are helping me succeed and stay motivated.

1. Eat your recommended calories. Don't go over, but get within 50 calories of your daily goal. I know everyone is different, but this is the difference between 2lbs and 3.5lbs a week for me. So eat your calories! Eventually as you lose your limit goes down anyway.
2. Eat back your exercise calories. I say this for more than one reason. First, I lost 1.5lbs more each week I ate ALL of my calories including exercise calories. Second, your muscle soreness will SERIOUSLY diminish and make cardio much more successful.
3. Stop worrying about retaining water whether it is because of your peroid or not. If you're eating your calories, drinking your water and exercising the weight is going to come off. Water, water, water!

I've found that being consistent is key...and really the entire point of a healthier lifestyle. Even though it has only been a month 13.5lbs doesn't lie, and MFP is a tremendously helpful tool.

I hope this helps anyone reluctant to follow the MFP recommendations. Happy losing!

13575895.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Can I just say congrats to you for doing C25K. I hear so people say "I cannot do this because of my weight..." etc... You can do anything you put your mind to! You should be proud of yourself and keep it up!
    :bigsmile:
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    Thank you!
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the wt loss and the c25k. I too am about 240 and have started the c25k. I had made it to week 4 but due to some family issues I had not run in 4 weeks. I got back to it this week and am feeling great. I need to be more consistent with my eating. I will log for a few days and then don't. Weekends are the worst for me. I could really use a supportive buddy if you are interested.

Again great job. Proud of you.
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have a suggestion for the weekends. When my boyfriend and first started MFP, we both knew that there was no way we could cold turkey our favorite foods (burgers, beer, Chinese food, etc.) So, what we did for the first 3 weeks what I refer to as our "diet" portion of our new lifestyle:

Sunday-Friday: 1200-1250 calories a day, 8 cups of water (we didn't exercise either)
    Saturday: We ate whatever we wanted to

As you can probably assume, this didn't last long. After seeing progress and deciding to start the C25K program, we stopped our "cheat" day because we were more motivated and understood that better food CONSISTENTLY means easier running and more energy. I LOVE pasta and I eat a lot of it the day before I run (two, .75 cup servings of Rotini Healthy Harvest 180 calories per serving). That is an awesome staple in my diet and makes the exercise much more enjoyable and fulfilling a craving.

Also, for extra fluids I drink Kool-Aid with a little bit of Splenda. This I also started with the regular one cup per packet, and I have worked my way down since then (more like 3/4 cup per two packets). This is a sweet treat that fills you up before/after a meal and is calorie free! Hope this helps...
  • Northern30
    Northern30 Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi, way to go for starting C25K and for the weight lost so far.

I started C25k last Sunday and am doing it on the treadmill. I am going to do Day 3 of week 1 over before starting week 2.

I was never a runner and hoping this will kick start my weight loss again.
  • rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have never been good about drinking water, but kool-aid.....I could do that!