Don't know how common knowledge this is

Options
I was on the phone with a friend of mine after a workout the other day, and she said "Did you drink chocolate milk?" I felt my face scrunch up, and said "I would puke..." After about a 5 minute conversation, she convinced me to get some. I was also talking to a co-worker of mine that told me that chocolate milk naturally has a perfect protein to carb ratio... Idk, I know I'm going to start drinking a glass after my workout.

Article copy and pasted:

When it's time to choose a liquid chug after a long, tough workout, there's a slew of options out there. Water? Gatorade, POWERade, or All Sport? Endurox R4? Physiologist Joel Stager, director of the Human Performance laboratory at Indiana University, has even one more potential workout recovery drink to add to the list: chocolate milk. His latest study, published in this month's International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, names this kids' favorite an optimal post-exercise recovery aid.

Before your stomach recoils, take a look at chocolate milk's ingredient list. For a high-endurance athlete, Stager's team sees it as a catch-all workout recovery drink. Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.

Drinking plain water after exercise replaces sweat losses -- and that's it. "Chocolate milk provides carbohydrate replenishment to your muscles -- something they can metabolize," said Jason Karp, MS, another researcher for this study. "There's nothing to metabolize in water."

Stager's assessment of chocolate milk is even simpler. "It's water plus a whole lot more," he said.

The Case for Carbs

Ready to switch your bottled water for chocolate milk? Assess your workout level first. Downing a post-workout beverage chock-full of carbohydrates isn't just for the weekend tennis player, said Stager -- and that's key. A drink like chocolate milk is most useful to a cyclist, swimmer, or long-distance runner. These sports stress high endurance levels and constant, sustained movement. Competing athletes need high levels of calories, carbs, and protein to sustain that level of performance.

Stager tested out chocolate milk's performance as a workout recovery drink on nine cyclists. In his lab, each athlete biked until exhaustion, and then rested for four hours. During this break, each consumed low-fat chocolate milk, Gatorade, or the high-carbohydrate sports drink Endurox R4. Afterward, they cycled to exhaustion again.

The results were positive. His research team concluded that the athletes who consumed chocolate milk performed just as well or better as those who drank the other beverages. The high carb and protein content in milk make it an incredibly effective recovery drink, Stager said -- even though it's never been marketed as one.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My son and his team mates drink GALLONS of chocolate milk every morning after hockey practice.... and he always said it was a good after workout drink. I just thought it was an excuse!
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    wow, very interesting, the other day after my walk i had a craving for chocolate milk lol nice to know it did me some good
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    wow, very interesting, the other day after my walk i had a craving for chocolate milk lol nice to know it did me some good

Yea, when I took a drink of it, I was like "wow, I didn't even realize I was craving this!" It was soooo good! hahaha
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My version of chocolate milk is skim milk mixed with one scoop of chocolate protein powder - So same idea but more protein and less sugar. (Though I have one or two chocolate fudge bars every night and those are probably similar to chocolate milk and give me plenty of sugar)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    GOMAD. I guess, GOCMAD. lol.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk after my workout every time :)
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    One of the trainers at the Y told me. When I mentioned it to other, they looked at me like I had 2 heard. Does feel good.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

hahaha I'm ok with that!!!
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    :) are you sure the two of you craving chocolate milk didn't experience "a fracture in the space-time continuum" ??

Sorry couldn't resist. just saw the movie last week !
  • skinyZ
    Options

meaning please? :s
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Glass Of Milk A Day, Glass Of Chocolate Milk A Day
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did a 900 miles bike tour a few years back and at the end of the day, at my friends insistence - we drank chocolate milk
  • skinyZ
    Options

Glass Of Milk A Day, Glass Of Chocolate Milk A Day

ah! i see, thanks
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I like to drink it after a long endurance ride.
  • A_Hornsby
    A_Hornsby Posts: 288
    Options
    A gym I used to attend actually had posters on the walls promoting drinking chocolate milk after working out! Must be something to it!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I always follow my workouts up with either a Muscle Milk light or an EAS carb advantage---chocolate flavored, of course. Your typical chocolate milk has about 24g of sugar (plus the dairy) so I tend to stay away from it in favor of lower sugar/lactose free options (EAS isn't totally lactose free, but it's easier on my stomach than straight up milk). I've heard lots of people say they love it after a workout though.

ETA: I'm not totally sold on this idea, btw. I just don't quite get how something with THAT much sugar can be that great...kinda sounds like something the dairy industry is pushing to me...
  • Vurbach
    Vurbach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk after a long run is my FAVORITE. I get the low fat 1%. It makes me feel better than anything else! LOVE it!!
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    They have commercials all the time about chocolate milk. I would watch out though. Most chocolate milk is made with either 1% or 2% milk, meaning fat content is high. You can get similar results by just drinking skim milk after a workout (the chocolate milk's only benefit is that it has the taste and more simple carbs, sugar, which gets delivered to the body quickly).

Chocolate milk: 226 calories, 9g protein, 9g fat and 33 g carbs
    Skim milk: 90 calories, 9g of protein, 0g of fat 13 g of carbs

Personally, I would just drink 2 servings of skim milk and look to get the fat another source of food in my diet.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    They have commercials all the time about chocolate milk. I would watch out though. Most chocolate milk is made with either 1% or 2% milk, meaning fat content is high. You can get similar results by just drinking skim milk after a workout (the chocolate milk's only benefit is that it has the taste and more simple carbs, sugar, which gets delivered to the body quickly).

Chocolate milk: 226 calories, 9g protein, 9g fat and 33 g carbs
    Skim milk: 90 calories, 9g of protein, 0g of fat 13 g of carbs

Personally, I would just drink 2 servings of skim milk and look to get the fat another source of food in my diet.

the point is the perfect balance of carbs and protein for your muscles to heal faster.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking chocolate milk after runs/workouts for a while. I make my own though and use 4 oz 1% milk, 4 oz almond milk, unsweetened vanilla, and the Nesquick powder, no sugar added.