Strength to Cardio Ratio for a fitness virgin

Options
So in the past I have followed exercise and diet plans and had success. But since I have been out of the game for about 3-4 years it seems I have forgotten what works for me and what I am doing...so I need some help :)

How much strength training should I be doing versus cardio for weight loss and toning?

Brief Rundown:

28 years old...63 inches tall...current weight is 144 lbs. I work a desk job 40 hrs a week...and waitressing job 2 or 3 nights a week.
I very recently added exercise back into my life and am trying to do roughly 3 hrs of cardio a week (to start)between a couple Zumba classes and treadmill. My goal is to lose 20-25 lbs and tone.

***Only issue is I do have limited chest/upper body strength due to a double mastectomy a 2 years ago....basically I am just weaker in that area but not totally limited***

Any suggestions on how much/what kind of strength training I need to add in for best results?

Replies

• Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bumping - anyone got any help?? LOL
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Much less cardio than you think..

" I made fat loss my primary goal for eight weeks. I eliminated all steady-state endurance exercise. No running, biking, swimming, or anything else in the steady-state. My workouts consisted of high intensity for short bursts, whether it was with weights or doing a metabolic interval session. I lifted weights three days a week, and I performed interval-training workouts on the other days. I made sure the interval workouts weren't on a treadmill or a bike. I only used bodyweight-exercise circuits, along with kettlebell circuits, as my cardio workouts"

From http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Intersting information...have a feeling I am not focusing in the right areas. Thank you :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I lost this 50 doing exactly zero steady-state cardio because it's boring. First 30 was done with diet only, the last 20 got a boost from bodyweight circuits.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    FWIW, I lost this 50 doing exactly zero steady-state cardio because it's boring. First 30 was done with diet only, the last 20 got a boost from bodyweight circuits.

That is awesome. So nice to hear from someone who has had success. Congrats