I'm running my 1st 5K tomorrow and not sure what to eat.....

Options
NikkiSmo
NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
I have to stay within 1200 calorie diet but I want to make srue I'm up to the challange tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to eat today?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    IMO eat what you'd normally eat. I wouldn't worry too much about it just don't add anything that you don't know how your body would react. I think it's when you're running a long distance that you have to worry about what to eat/fuel yourself with. I've done a few 5k's and didn't change anything. I did just fine. I assume you've been training and running at least 5k during the training? How have you been feeling with what you've been eating? The race won't be much different.

ETA: Good luck and most important have fun!!! Enjoy it!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with alypri - just whatever you normally eat before a run. Some simple carbs (toast, a piece of fruit) would be great but you don't need to load up for a 5k - your body has enough in its stores to take you through. And don't try anything new on race morning - just eat whatever normally sits well in your stomach.

Enjoy it!
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Half of a whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter! Keeps you satisfied with protein and gives you a little bump in carbs :)
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Water Water Water is key the day before I run a 5k. I try to get down 12 glasses of h20 (in addition to the 6 or so cups of coffee). This is about 10 glasses more than I usually drink...yes...I know...I should do more...

I don't change my diet, and I am on 1200 as well. For dinner the night before, I eat "light" protein - no red meat. Depending on your weight, pace, etc a 5k will burn 200 - 300+ calories -- not much really.

The morning of the race, I make sure I am up and eating 2 hours before the start time. I eat a 1/4 cup dry oatmeal, cooked with berries.

Relax and have fun!!!!! Congratulations!!!