I feel like I'm out of gas - how do I get my energy back

Options
I feel like I have been dragging for a few days. To get thru my exercise routine has just taken everything I got (my routines is running 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill). Yesterday, I couldn't even get on the treadmill (just did eliptical, which is easier for me).

I walk up 10 flights of steps to work in the morning. I have been feeling like I was going to die and have to take breaks every two or three flights. Most of the time, I can make all the way without having to rest (I'm not running up or anything, but slow and steady). A couple of weeks ago, I was sometimes going up two steps at a time for a few flights for the challenge.

When this lack of energy happens to me, it typically makes me want to have a huge binge because I don't feel good. But that doesn't always do the trick (to make me feel better).....plus, I don't want to gain any lbs back. Does anyone else have this problem. What do you do and how long does it take to get your mojo back?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating, and in what macronutrient breakdown? Do you supplement your vitamins and minerals?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is telling you to take a rest.

Are you eating enough calories? In the right proportions? How much exercise are you getting? When was the last time you did ZERO exercise?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Review your food diary. Are you getting enough calories? Make sure that you are getting enough protein and good carbs (not just sugar). Make sure you are getting enough water. And

make sure you are getting enough *rest*.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary this is only a guess...........you're not eating enough.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Fill it back up and drive again until you reach empty :tongue:
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When did you last have a rest day and how much sleep have you been getting?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With the amount you have left to lose your weekly weight loss goal should be 0.5lbs/week and you should be eating back the cals you burn from exercise. If you are not eating enough you will get run down.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Are you having enough vitamin D? I had a similar problem...by the end of the day it was all I could do to make dinner and go to bed. So I went to the doctor and she just told me to take lots of vitamin D. Now I take up to 2000 mg a day and I feel so much better!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    When did you last have a rest day and how much sleep have you been getting?

This is what I'm wondering.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Okay, you've opened your diary and it looks like you do indeed eat your exercise cals and have a decent macronutrient set up. What I recommend is taking a week out from exercising altogether and eating at maintenance or slightly below. Refill your energy stores, give your nervous system a break.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have a week at maintenance cals without working out... you'll be good to go again. rest is VERY important!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

hahaha!
    I was going to suggest beans! More energy and gas! :laugh:
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    Usually when my energy plummets it's tied to B vitamins and Iron deficiencies. Also, if my electrolytes are off (Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium) I can be sluggish. Try getting some extra doses of dark leafy greens for the iron and try taking some B vitamins. I know that you can get a B12 shot at most doctors offices. I've never tried that, but have heard it helps drastically. Taking regular B vitamins helps me within 2 days.

I hope this helps!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    B12 sublingual drops can help you with energy. I take two a day. It also helps with focus.
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started 2 weeks ago with 1200 calories. even with eating my calories back after exercising I still felt run down and just wanted to sleep all the time. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 and I feel much better and I am still losing 2lbs a week. I hope this helps!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would say, get some sleep, drink more water, make sure you are eating the right kinds of foods, and instead of doing a heavy workout do a nice long slow walk. It is a good rejuvenator. You may just be hitting the exercise intensely and need a "cool-down" day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough....protein, fruit & veggies? If you don't feel better soon....you should see your doctor. Are you thirsty alot?
  • nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Any change in the weather? Heat? Humidity? Heat can make a workout seem difficult than it would be in cooler weather.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options

hahaha!
    I was going to suggest beans! More energy and gas! :laugh:

touche to that one
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    It's probably mostly nutrition, but don't rule out that you're over training. Take some time off - at least 4-5 days, keep eating the right amount of food, and see how you feel. If you don't feel better, definitely see a doctor. And track your food intake carefully to make sure you're getting enough calories.