Vacation in Maine...suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Highly recommend the town of Hallowell on the Kennebec and the Bed and Breakfast there called the Benjamin Wales. Our son just spent a few days there. Really, the small village side of Maine, even inland near the lakes and rivers, can't be beat.

Oh, and don't miss, near Portland, at a little chocolatier, Lenny, the only life size solid chocolate Moose.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have a house in Southern Maine (Wells Beach). I LOVE the area. I would suggest for Southern Maine, Ogunquit, walking the Marginal Way, eating at The Olde Village Inn. I would also reccomend The Cape Arundel Inn, and Federal Jack's in Kennebunkport, as well as Allisons's (awesome nachos) you can see the Bush (George) family compound..

I LOVE Maine.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Definitely marking this thread to peruse later... I live not too far away, but am looking for "staycation" ideas for this summer!

I personally love Portland - a great port city with good walking around stuff, good restaurants, etc.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Another Bar Harbor suggestion from me! It's some if the most beautiful land I've ever seen. The people are cool and the shops are killer. Nemos is a restaraunt I'd suggest. It looks like a dive. Well..., it is a dive. But do good and a zillion things to look at and take in.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Freeport for LL Bean and shopping. Also the Maine Desert is Freeport too
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I think a cabin rental would be awesome! We do need to visit someone in Bangor...so around there would be perfect.

If anyone has been to any good cabins around there, feel free to chime in :)

thanks!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Freeport for LL Bean and shopping. Also the Maine Desert is Freeport too

Good Call, especially as the LL Bean Flagship store is just a short detour off 95 on the way to Bangor, and it's open 24 hours a day, there are no locks on the main doors. I love that store. There is also a fair amount of other shopping in the neighborhood as well.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    2 things are my favorites when I visit Maine... portland and lobster rolls. OMG! Lobster rolls are sooooo good!
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for an amazing place, Midas Lodge on Lake Segago is wonderful! I have been to a few weddings there! I also went to camp (a long time ago) on Sebago!
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    If you're going to be by Bangor, then I'm betting once you visit Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park...you'll spend most of your time there. It's breathtaking and absolutely beautiful, used to go there every Memorial Day weekend to go camping.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    What time of year would be good to go swimming in a lake? I am guessing May and June to be too chilly?
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    May and June is fine swimming in the lake..might be a little chilly if you're not used to it. But we do have very hot days in May and June so you won't notice the difference. Now the ocean..yahh never got used to going into that in May or June..now that would be cold...but there are some nuts who go in the ocean....lolol
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I could be one of those nuts ;)
  • brennamurphy42
    Options
    My family has been vacationing in Maine every summer since I was a baby. We always stay in the same house on Drake's Island, which is off the coast of Kennebunk Port. That whole area is amazing and a great place to vacation. It's a little far from Bangor (I think, I'm the worst with directions), but definitely manageable for a day trip.
  • Vgrindle
    Vgrindle Posts: 23
    Options
    Eat at the Weathervane Restaurant. VERY GOOD seafood ;)