Losing Inches Vs. Weight

Options
Hey Everyone!

So this past week or two I have noticed that my weight has stayed about the same losing maybe 1-2 pounds but inches have been dropping. I have a loss of 32 lbs thus far and I am 439 lbs. I do cardio at the moment and not weight lifting, at least not on purpose! LOL So my question is has anyone else expereienced inches lost vs weight?

Starting inches in wasit 73
Current inches in waist 64.5

Just something that popped into my head, so I thought I would ask.

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    That seems to be how my weightloss works! I lose a few pounds, but the inches stay the same and then my weight will stay the same for weeks but I will lose inches. As long as the end result is I weigh less and look slimmer, it's all good! =)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh yes....all the time.

The way I see it is you are the only one that see the number on the scale but everyone else see your *kitten* shrinking....so I will take inches over pounds anytime
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats that's an awesome loss! Don't let the scale get to you, sometimes it move and sometimes it doesn't! Keep up the good work!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    losing inches is definitely what everyone should be aiming to do over losing weight.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

Typically, this is something that one experiences with weight lifting. But it looks like you're doing enough to increase the intensity of your cardio workouts, and you've been rock solid on your nutrition, so that you're burning bodyfat.

Hope you continue to have this success. And don't be nervous about getting involved with some strength training/resistance training. Based on what you've done so far, you'll likely to continue making progress, but weight training might help speed it up a little more. Either way, great work!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Been working on weight loss for 9 months. I currently weigh 406lbs. I've lost 39lbs (only) and 90 inches over my entire body. Not sure how you lose that many inches and not more weight, but there you have it.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. The clothes are definitely looser, have gone down a size, but the scale barely moves. I will just take what I can get and maybe both will catch up to each other one day...
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Good job. I have had similar experiences. Sometimes the scale moves and sometimes it doesn't, same with inches. Whatever the loss celebrate it by doing the happy dance because you are doing awesome! I wish you continued success.

I just had a thought... not sure if it's right, but maybe people with more weight to lose build muscle quicker from cardio then people who have less to lose? If you think about it, you are moving a lot of weight around while doing cardio compared to a lighter person doing the same exercise. Your own body weight would be adding more resistance while doing cardio. Maybe I'm wrong, I am no expert just a thought.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Oh yes....all the time.

The way I see it is you are the only one that see the number on the scale but everyone else see your *kitten* shrinking....so I will take inches over pounds anytime
    my thoughts exacty. No one is going to whip out a scale to weigh you but they will see your shape and figure. No one thinks I weigh 155lbs they always think im less even drs when they weigh me lol Id rather look slim and fit then weigh hardly anything and look bony and fragile
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    I started as a morbidly obese class 3, detrained and dehydrated. Now I do alot of exercise and experiment alot with my eating patterns. Currently I am losing more inches than pounds. I'd say go with the inches; in the end what matters is how fit you are, how well you feel and how awesome you look. Fck the scale.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I do prefer to lose inches over weight, but I can't deny that I have a habit of obsessing over the scale. I feel like i'm not accomplishing anything if that scale didn't move... since I started weight training it's something I'm currently battling with, seeing as the scale went up.. but my inches went down..I know that's good and normal, but I still get that panic that I'm reversing my progress. xD gah.
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I've been working out for a month now and gained a couple lbs but lost a couple of inches. It doesn't match up, but I love seeing the inches go down. I try to ignore the scales but they can be such a demotivator when I don't see the number move. I'm cutting my calories a bit and focusing on eating veggies more, plus increasing my cardio and hopefully I'll see the scale go down eventually. Keep at it. Like everyone says, noone cares about your weight - its how you look that people notice and you've done brilliantly so far. keep it up and focus on the tape measure not the scales :) x