bikram yoga

Options
Has anyone counting calories for a 90min bikram yoga class?

Replies

• scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure but I have read that a 90 minute class burns upwards of 1,000 calories

Ok, maybe not, just found this:

Calories Burned in Hot Yoga
    Bikram yoga is a fast-moving aerobic exercise, so it does raise your heart rate to a fat-burning level. While you won't burn thousands of calories, you may burn up to 800 or 900, depending on your current weight. A 150-pound woman will burn about 700 calories performing hot yoga for 90 minutes, according to the calorie counter from Health Status, and a 130-pound woman will burn about 620 calories. You would need to weigh over 200 pounds to burn 1,000 calories in hot yoga.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535909-can-hot-yoga-make-you-lose-weight/#ixzz1xs6Bi5tF
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I do heavy lifting, I record about 240 calories an hour(I am 185lbs). I do not record what my HRM says because they are not accurate for these types of activities. My heart rate goes between about 125 and 160 when I am lifting (60-80%).

I would assume that intense yoga would be the similar. The heat makes no difference in terms of calories burned. It is only to increase flexibility.
  • indirab
    indirab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank You
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have worn my hrm in a bikram style class with no heat and burned about 200 cals, it was about 45 min class, then I went to a bikram class and burned over 800, I didn't look at the range my heart rate was, but I was definitely working harder in the bikram class, a lot harder, my heart would go from racing to calm and then racing again.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If my HRM is not considered accurate for strength training, I doubt it would be accurate for any form of yoga.

The calories burned calculation for a HRM is based on the assumption that your cardio workout is what is increasing your heartrate. You can hold your breath for three minutes and that will increase your heart rate, but you are not actually burning more calories, though your HRM will think you are.

If I am getting ready for a test or public speaking event, my heart rate will also go up, and any HRM will say that I was burining more calories, but I haven't.

In summary an increased heart rate is an EFFECT of an activity that causes you to burn more calories, but your heart rate can be raised by other things that are not related to calorie burn.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    bikram is awesome but not a huge calorie burner. do yoga for the other benefits and any calories burned are just a bonus. When I was doing bikram on a regular basis, I estimated the 90 minute class at about 400 cals.