calorie intake

Options
what is everyones daily caolorie limit? and is 900 calories a day too low??

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Oh yes you will be sending your body up to starvation mode if you going that route you should atleast eat 1200 calories a day minimum:flowerforyou: mines 1220-1500 with excercise
  • smiles04
    smiles04 Posts: 44
    Options
    mine is 2,170 in order to maintain my weight. and the recommended amount for weight loss is 1,200. i think 900 is quite low unless you're shorter than 5 feet... hope that helps! :smile:
  • sharnie_007
    Options
    aww thanks guys.. im 5ft 7..;. guess its just been a bad day as im going to the beach tommorow and feel like a whale!!! ill go tro 1200
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I'm 5'7" too, and if I stick to around 1,600 a day (plus most of my exercise calories) I lose about a pound a week.

Recently I've changed my goals to 1,800 and about half a pound a week, though. On days I'm not as hungry I will eat less, but rarely if ever go under 1,400.

:flowerforyou:
  • PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel like a whale. You look gorgeous in your pic.

Listen to the others --1200 is the ABSOLUTE minimum.

--PinkDog
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    While setting a low calorie goal seems like it will make the fat peel off, it doesn't work that way. If you don't eat enough, your body will begin to hang on to every bit of nutrition it can get (what this site calls 'starvation mode') and your metabolism essentially slows down... the OPPOSITE of what you want! :noway:

The most efficient way to lose the weight is to eat small nutritious snacks or 'mini meals' (think 200-300 calories) every few hours to keep your metabolism going constantly. Make sure you pay attention to nutrition, too because 500 calories of sugary breakfast bars aren't going to give you the same energy as a proper balance of protein, carbs and fat. :happy:

If you're just worried about tomorrow drink plenty of water and avoid salty and starchy foods which make you retain water and feel bloated. Keep snacks handy and enjoy the sunshine!

P.S. most people looking to lose weight are probably eating between 1200 and 1500 calories per day :wink:
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    in order to lose about a pound a week my goal came up a little over 1300 calories a day before exercise, I am starting to understand the whole reasoning behind eating your exercise calories, but on some days it seems hard to get over 1200 calories but yet I am not hungary. Is there something high in nutrition that I can add to my daily diet to get me to my calorie goals?
  • TwistedKidd
    Options
    Mines is 500 or less. I just took what i eat most days without sweets
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i should be taking in about 1000 cals a day.....but then again im only 4'10" :laugh: :laugh:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    in order to lose about a pound a week my goal came up a little over 1300 calories a day before exercise, I am starting to understand the whole reasoning behind eating your exercise calories, but on some days it seems hard to get over 1200 calories but yet I am not hungary. Is there something high in nutrition that I can add to my daily diet to get me to my calorie goals?

protein powder is nice to add to coffee or smoothies and things like that. This site sets really low protein goals and that can add 100 or so calories of decent nutrition and help you sustain muscle :wink: also adding in nuts like almonds and cashews can add up calories really fast with healthy fats too!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

What? :huh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For 4 years (after my daughter's birth) I ate about 700-800 a day and lost not one single pound. In fact, I gained a few. When I started MFP in June, I weighed what I weighed the day before she was born. So, I began educating myself. After coming here and studying bodybuilding and weight management from a health standpoint (and not a crash, instant results, won't last long standpoint), I upped my daily calories to 1200. It was rough to eat that much. I lost a few pounds at first (water weight), then nothing...and nothing...

So I upped my daily calories to 1370. I began losing inches, but have been replacing the pounds lost with muscle from my strength training. I'm down nearly two sizes, although I've only lost 7 'scale' pounds. A couple of days ago I upped the calories again to 1450 and twiddled with the nutrient allocation (carb/fat/protein).

The reason for this is that I did an actual calculation of the calories I burn in my daily routine...each and every task (tedious and boring project THAT was!). It came out to 2450 which would be my maintenance calories, so subtracting a 1000 deficit from that would be 1450 /shrug.

I've come to believe that I have been severely underfeeding myself and only by gradually increasing my calories up to a reasonable level have I begun to lose fat. The good news is my baby belly is nearly gone!

If this isn't effective after a few weeks, I'll tweak it some more :bigsmile:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

I know right:noway: :noway: :indifferent:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Mine's 1540 for a 2 pound/ week weight loss.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    aww thanks guys.. im 5ft 7..;. guess its just been a bad day as im going to the beach tommorow and feel like a whale!!! ill go tro 1200

The less weight you need to lose, the closer to your maintenance calories you should be eating. The less fat you have, the harder your body works to hold on to it. So, if you don't eat enough you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • TwistedKidd
    Options

I know it's low! Maybe even lower than that. I don't eat alot. My Intake is normal high is i eat sweets that day and i rarely eat sweet.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options

I know it's low! Maybe even lower than that. I don't eat alot. My Intake is normal high is i eat sweets that day and i rarely eat sweet.

That is not good at all. I would try to increase your intake to at least 1200. Your body is probably in starvation mode and your metabolism is probably crawling like a turtle.

If you need more help see about finding a nutritionist.

HTH,
    Demetria
  • TwistedKidd
    Options

That is not good at all. I would try to increase your intake to at least 1200. Your body is probably in starvation mode and your metabolism is probably crawling like a turtle.

If you need more help see about finding a nutritionist.

HTH,
    Demetria

I'm trying to increases it, slowly but surely
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

she probably forgot the 1...for 1500. otherwise that would suck in too many ways especially for the body

edit: my bad!! didn't read it till the end

hunny...eat something! i hate food pushers, but you are starving, if you have trouble eating, grab a protein bar or two, and some boost or ensures!
  • TwistedKidd
    Options

she probably forgot the 1...for 1500. otherwise that would suck in too many ways especially for the body

edit: my bad!! didn't read it till the end

hunny...eat something! i hate food pushers, but you are starving, if you have trouble eating, grab a protein bar or two, and some boost or ensures!

I do eat :grumble: just not that much