Things I have learned over 56lbs lost

Options
sharleengc
sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
I have been working on weight loss since March of 2011 and have lost 56 lbs. I know that is slower than some loose but I have been consistantly losing. I have picked up quite a few "helpful tips" and would like to share them. They are just my opinion and not ment to be set in stone so if you don't agree, that's fine but please respectful of my opinion.

1. Don't be scared of a plateau. Whether it lasts 1-2 weeks or even up to 2 months. It will break eventually as long as you keep plugging away.

2. Feel free to change what you are doing if you feel that what you're doing isn't working or if you just need a change. If you are upping calories or lowering calories (not below 1200 of course), or changing your exercise routine - make sure you give your body a chance to adjust. Making a change will not happen overnight, you may even gain a lb or 2 while your body is adjusting. It make take a week or two for you to see if the changes are working so give it time.

3. Give yourself a "cheat day" or "cheat meal". One day or one meal won't throw you off. It will only cause problems if you find yourself having a "cheat day" everyday and suddenly a week or two has passed.

4. Don't deny yourself. If you really want pizza or candy, have it. You will have a bigger craving if you keep putting it off. If you have it when you first want it, you can get away with a half of the candy or 1 piece of pizza...instead of half of the pizza or 2 candy bars.

5. It's fine to ask for opinions of other people on MFP but keep in mind that everybody's body is different and the things that work for some may not work for you. For example, I have heard people mention upping calories and after being on a plateau for a month, I decided to try it. I gave myself 30 days to see a change and 30 days later, I had only maintained my weight, I hadn't gained or lost. I did not break that plateau until I changed my exercises.

Well..I think those are the main things I have learned and expeienced over my weight loss journey. As I said, just tips I have discovered for me and they may not work for you.

Replies

• azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like these :)

You're right about the pizza and candy, often having a small piece stops you from obsessing about it and eventually caving in and eating loads.

Another thing that sometimes works for me when I crave something is to wait 15 minutes or so... if after that time I still want it, then I have it, enjoy it and move on guilt free. The good thing is that often I find that after waiting I don't want it so much and can carry on without eating it - the craving has passed and I can stay on track.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Gum can be a lifesaver too!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Your WISDOM ABOUNDS, Sharleen!! YOU took responsibility, experimented, listened to others, made your own moves, took youself seriously, and NEVER GAVE UP!! 56 lbs down later...you are sharing from experience your gold mine of thoughts. I love all the great sayings...you need to BELIEVE to ACHIEVE. The best that has encouraged me is: "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" GRREAT JOB!
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    Very good advice, IMOHO :) Thanks!!! And congratulations on how far you have come!!!!!!!
  • danielled731
    danielled731 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nice post and good advice. congrats on weight loss!!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great advice, especially about having things you crave instead of binging later on.
  • Motivated__
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Good advice!
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    VeronicaanddMatt0605 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Some really helpful advice.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss and thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i have been the same for two weeks now and doing my best not to lose motivation - funnily enough if i am feeling de-motivated, half hour of step up aerobics makes me feel cheery again! strange! thanks for sharing x
  • ClaireSD35
    ClaireSD35 Posts: 38
    Options
    Brilliant advice, good on you for keeping going so long. I just hope I can keep it going 1/2 as long as only 1/2 way through my journey.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Thats awesome advice! And congrats on your weightloss thats a fantastic achievement
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss.

I'm glad you're pointing out that this is a trial and error approach to figuring out what works for you, since it's going to be different for everyone.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Those are some great tips, you are doing great with 56 lbs lost.

As far as the time it has taken you to lose that 56 lbs, its individual as you said, no two people lose at the same rate...

Thanks for the great post!!!!
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Gum works for me!
  • Kellymarieprior
    Options
    I am SO GLAD that you decided to post this in the end, and it was a good idea to put that little disclaimer in so that you don't get anyone on here having a go! Your opinion is your's alone, and it is brave to share it.

I really LOVE all your points! Especially about allowing yourself a cheat day, and allowing yourself to have the things you crave. It is so easy to obsess about them for days on end if you don't allow the odd "cheat".

Gum is deffo a life saver, I prefer the fruity gums to mint but anything really to prevent cravings is a good thing!

Losing 56lbs is such an achievement, one that I am very jealous of! You say that you lost it slower than a lot of other people, but actually, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, just that you eventually do get there.

WE WILL ALL GET THERE :)
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Very needed common sense. Thanks for posting.
  • sarapumpkin
    Options
    Very wise words, When I'm going out to dinner I allow myself a cheat meal. I still don't order the fettuccini alfredo, I stick to lighter fare but I can't measure and weigh so I don't stress about it.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    amen sister! making small changes and learning how to manage food/exercise health for a lifetime is the way to go!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!