something to ponder over today:

Options
He who risks and fails can be forgiven. He who never risks and never fails is a failure in his whole being. —Paul Tillich
What risks have you taken? What have your past failures been? How have you learned from those risks & failures? Are you becoming more successful from those lessons learned?

ONE thing that has been my motto throughout my life has been to learn something NEW each & everyday. I DO, either through trial & error or by reading about something new and testing out the newly acquired knowledge in my real life. I want to grow, broaden my horizons. I honestly feel like something is missing if I have not learned something new.
I read a ton of books each year (no joke). I just checked my archive on my kindle yesterday. So far this year I have archived 97 books. That is just digital. Does not include what I have checked out from the library or purchased or borrowed from friends/family/neighbors. I do read an array of genres too. I have too with as many books as I read.
I try to challenge myself continually to do better, mentally & physically. Yeah I have has some setbacks. I have had to learn from those setbacks. Glad I have learned from those setbacks too. Otherwise I would have been sitting on the sidelines observing other watching life pass me by. Those time were quite frustrating (being on crutches for 6 months to a year from a stress fracture was near intolerable). The big thing though is one cannot tell me "never again" those are my challenge words to do better.

I was told I would never ever run again...well guess what? I am running again. I push myself, but not beyond my limit. Something I have learned. I no longer run everyday. I run two days on with a day off. I have learned several new stretching techniques to stretch specific muscles that were tighter than other muscles and now they are just as limber as the rest.

I have learned many, many other lessons, and will continue to learn & probably fall down and get back up. I am only human after all.

What failures and risks have you taken yourself? How have you learned from them? If you could do it all over again would you?

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this reminder.

I sometimes get off on a dead end road and just ponder for awhile. Then I make my way back.

I love to read and would love to know some of your favorite books. :wink:
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wow it would be hard to say a favorite book.
    I could say I have a favorite author...
    wait I take that back
    I had a real eye opener when I read Carol Burnett's Autobiography: One More Time.
    That really gives one hope when you look at how determined a person is in life and fell down a lot and yet never gave up.

A book I would never EVER recommend is Madame Bovary. I have always made it a point to finish a book I've started. I can usually finish a book (300 pages in about a day 2 if I'm slow). That book took me 3 months to gag down! I read six other books while trying to get through that! Oh it was the worst read ever! One of my college professors confessed to never finishing the book!

I love Elizabeth Kostova, she has two books out. The Historian and Swan Thieves. Both are phenomenal reads. I wish she would hurry up and write another book. I have read both of those books twice.

Like I said previously I do love almost all genres except for romance. I am just not a big fan of mush. Give me a good murder mystery, fiction, historical or even a biography and I can be engrossed for a long time. I'm sure my house could blow up around me & I wouldn't even notice! If desperate enough I will even read a text book on any subject (well probably not physic's and statistics...did not care for those subjects too much).