not eating after 6pm?

Options
My friend told me that she doesn't eat after 6 pm and it works perfectly for her weight loss. Does anyone else do it? I was wondering maybe I should try but it's just very hard not to eat after 6pm because sometimes i do my exercise only at 7 pm and after that i feel like to eat yougurt or something light. Any ideas is it really good idea, share your meal schedule .
Thanks

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    6 is the earliest I've heard... it all depends on what time you go to bed also. It may work for her but it may not work for you. If I stopped eating at 6 I know that I would get hungry and I don't like to go to bed hungry, don't know about you :bigsmile: Find what works for you but you just shouldn't make a habit of eating a lot right before bed.

~Leash :heart:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm not even home from WORK by 6 pm, lol. Then I have pets to deal with, cooking the meal to handle and getting the kids to sit down and eat it. I feel like I'm doing really well if we're done by 7:30 pm. I usually go to sleep about 12:30 am.

Edited to add: On the nights I go workout, I don't get home until after 7:00 and THEN I have to cook for the family and finally...eat.
  • jenichip1
    jenichip1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    6:00 seems pretty early for me..it's a good idea..I usually hear around 8:00..I think it all depends on your work schedule..:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I eat cereal at about 8:30 PM every night and I've lost weight pretty steadily for seven months.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to cut your eating off at any specific time in terms of weight loss. The only problem with going to bed after eating is that your body is still working to digest food while you are trying to sleep, so it may lead to discomfort. I eat any time of the day or night, and I don't have a problem losing the pounds. :smile:
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's really whatever suits you and your lifestyle. I usually go to bed around 12 or 1am, so if I stopped at 6, I'd have to starve myself for 6-7 hours! But if I were to go to bed at say 8.30pm, then stopping at 6 might be ok. It's basically timing it so that you're not starving when you go to bed, but you're also not either feeling full of food or full of energy I guess.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else i am still on my second shift schedule so stoping eating at 6pm aint happening i dont go to bed till 12 or 12 30 so 6 hours without eating wont happen i have heard about 3 hours before you go to bed is good
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I work til 6:30 most days then hit the gym so dinner for me is rarely before 8 or 9 & bedtime is around midnight. I've had no problem losing weight. 6 pm may work for her but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. So long as you allow your body time to digest before going to sleep you should be fine :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It does not matter when you eat as long as your total calorie input does not go over your target calorie.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    you still need to exercise and make healthy choices regarding food
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't know about how it affects weight loss generally, but I know that for me, my waist shrinks down a lot overnight if I have not eaten anything (except maybe a little fruit if I'm starving) for a good 3 hours before bed. Maybe I don't lose more pounds per week, but it sure helps my morale to wake up and see a narrower waist and my pants fitting great when I put them on.

I am an hourglass body type and I don't carry a lot of weight in the middle so maybe it doesn't work that way for everyone. If anyone has any tips for how to wake up in the morning with smaller thighs and arms, I'd be glad to hear them. :laugh:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    rather then set a strict daily cut off time, I have heard that it is beneficial to stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed, whether that time is 7, 10 etc.

Some people just set the limit for no more food after supper

I think just cuz eating in the evening is usually mindless, while watching tv etc... not for refueling etc.

i dont really have a cut off, but if i really feel i MUST have something before bedtime i try to keep it light/healthy, some fruit or a lil yogurt etc...