Self Sabotage

Options
I've noticed in the past that whenever I find myself doing really well and losing some weight (say, 5 lbs), I tend to "celebrate" with an extremely high calorie meal at my absolute favorite fast food restaurant.

I know I "know better" and I recognize this as a form of sabotage against myself. I think I must be subconsciously afraid of succeeding in my weight loss goals, but I don't know what exactly I'm afraid of. I did really well before, and nothing bad happened. I was so much happier when I lost the weight the last time. I felt better, I found better looking clothes, I really was happier.... So, why do I keep throwing up roadblocks? :mad:

I am hoping that joining MFP will help me get past this self sabotage. I joined 10 days ago, and I am committed to making smart choices, keeping my momentum and enthusiasm up, and supporting as many other people as I can. This **** is HARD to do on your own.

If anyone has suggestions for how to talk myself down from the Portillo's beef & cheddar croissant ledge (seriously, I dream about these things) next time it presents itself, please share!

And, if you need a very encouraging friend, I'm taking applications now. J/K - I'm looking for all the friends I can get on MFP - I'm going to NEED the support, but I promise - I give as good as I get where support is concerned! :happy:

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's self sabotage.......it's just doing whats easy. Change is REALLY hard and it takes a LONG TIME. It's much easier to fall back into old habits (that you also know feel good) than to really make life changes.

There is a saying that's been going around the internet lately that I really love..."Don't reward yourself with food.....you're not a dog". I always remind myself.........my reward is the new clothes I get to buy and the fact that I look better, not a pint of Ben and Jerrys. :)
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    @IveLanded - Thanks! I appreciate that insight. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why I keep doing this, but you're right. It has become a habit, and habits are "what's easy". Love the saying. I'm committing it to memory right now. I will definitely be saying that to myself a lot in the coming weeks and months!!!
  • rjs85
    rjs85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thats a brilliant saying! Must remember that! I think I do this too.. but I go through phases of being dedicated and then slipping 'off the wagon!'. Habits are hard to break! Must find rewards that aren't food (and stop making excuses to myself when I know full well I shouldn't do it). :)