Why have I gained weight!? :(

Options
I have been exercising daily and staying under my caloric goal each and every day! I set my caloric goal to 1400 calories a day. However, I usually eat right at 1200 every day.

Can someone tell me why this is?

I *feel* smaller, though? I look in the mirror and my stomach is a bit flatter than it was, so how come I have gained three pounds!?
Will I start losing weight again?

Please help... thank you all who have taken the time out of your day to read this post and respond. It truly means a lot.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Get a measuring tape and use that, if the tape says you're smaller, that's more important than what the scale says. Besides, you can gain and hold several pounds of water weight from exercising.
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    muscle tissue weighs more than fat for the same amount of volume, so if you are adding muscle you might also be adding pounds. Focus on the measurements, how you feel and how you look. Keep up the good work! And smile!
  • Skitti
    Skitti Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks, all!

It's hard to be positive on this weight loss journey as it's one of the hardest things I think I've ever done... and I'm still so far from finished! Seeing extra pounds on the scale is absolutely terrifying.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    muscle tissue weighs more than fat for the same amount of volume, so if you are adding muscle you might also be adding pounds. Focus on the measurements, how you feel and how you look. Keep up the good work! And smile!

I like your concept but I MUST say that NO... muscle does not weigh more than fat. They weigh the same amount. Muscle is denser is takes up less space hence the fact that you may be losing inches but the scale isn't moving! You are getting smaller (which is what we want)!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow, 1200 cals on days you workout is no where near enough. If your goal is 1400 on MFP you should be eating 1400 plus eat back the majority of the cals you burn from exercise. so if you burn 400, you should be eating in the 1800 cal range.

Most likely what you are seeing is water weight gain. It will not be muscle as you will not gain muscle on so little calories.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options

I like your concept but I MUST say that NO... muscle does not weigh more than fat. They weigh the same amount. Muscle is denser is takes up less space hence the fact that you may be losing inches but the scale isn't moving! You are getting smaller (which is what we want)!

Original post: "muscle tissue weighs more than fat for the same amount of volume"
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Um....re-read what she said - "muscle tissue weighs more than fat for the same amount of volume".
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    People who chronically undereat like that seem to get weird results and it creates a vicious cycle. Eat your target calories and you will reach your goals AND feel better.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options

Um....re-read what she said - "muscle tissue weighs more than fat for the same amount of volume".

OOOPS My bad! and I thought I was sounding so smart!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public?
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Dont forget muscle absorb water...that adds weight.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options

And this is what I can't stand. I can't seem to drop the water weight! WTH!!!!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Always good to read all of the comments before slamming someone..

but for the record I had my 'muscle weighs same as fat' soapbox out for a second also....
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Maybe ur pregnant
  • PHATmommy68
    Options

Always good to read all of the comments before slamming someone..

but for the record I had my 'muscle weighs same as fat' soapbox out for a second also....

I don't believe I was "slamming" anyone!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I've put on a pound too this week, despite having an increased deficit from not eating back a fair percentage of my exercise calories, but I've exercised plenty so I'm putting it down to that. I feel strong, healthy and can feel the changes in body shape occurring so what do I care what a silly electronic contraption has to say?!!
  • caarsen
    caarsen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm having the same problem. I was losing weight and then, gained a pound and a half in one week. My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories and I am exercising twice a day, weights for 25 minutes, cardio for 45 - running and elliptical. Are you now saying I should eat those calories too? Seems kind of pointless to do cardio then. I know it's good for my heart and health, but from a weight loss perspective, seems a bit pointless to exercise and then eat what I just burnt off. I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just a bit confused.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Why do you let that bother you if it's being retained by the muscle for healing purposes?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Why not worry about the fat weight instead? Water is less likely to kill you than fat is.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Along with the advice that "muscle weight more then fat for the same amount of volume", try and weigh/measure yourself at the same time everyday. On average a woman can fluctuate between 1-3 pounds difference a day. These things are usually caused by water retention, hormones, menstrual cycle etc. Try and measure/weight yourself first thing in the morning (after using the bathroom) everyday. If you do it after having a meal or working out & drinking 20+ ounces of water (and not using the bathroom) These things will add to your weight. If you're doing everything right then it shouldn't be fat. Go by how your clothes fit. You've come a long way so far! Keep it up!