Any suggestions on running shoes?

Options
I've been wearing the same shoes as I did when I cheered during cheerleading conditioning. and if any of you know, they run us like crazy, 3 miles a day, 10 sets of wind sprints across the gym that had to be made in 15 secs, with an additional set for each person who did not make the 7 minute mile, and just running the route over and over again. The soles on my shoes are completely gone, but I'm still reppin them. My knees have been KILLING me I think it might be my shoes. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of shoes I should get or anything?

Replies

• kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Go to a Running Room store (or equivalent) and bring your old running shoes. From those, they can tell (from the wear of the soles of the shoe) what type of shoe you will need to wear to correct your running posture. Great running shoes are available from many different brands. You need to try them on and jog in them a bit in the store to know the right fit. They will probably ask you to jog around the in store track to see how your feet are positioned during your run in general.

I wear Mizuno cross-training shoes. Great for trail running. Since getting new shoes, I've been running faster and longer.
  • chocolategoose
    chocolategoose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with Kim. Go to a store with your old shoes so a professional can look at your stride/strike patterns on the shoe and then they'll ask you to either run around the store or on a treadmill (if they have one there). I ran on a tmill for about 2 minutes and the professional was able to tell what kind of runner I am and fitted me with the appropriate shoes. They brought out 3 different brands and I went with Asics which I love. Time well spent. Now whenever I need to buy a new pair of shoes I just remember the brand and "model" and order online. I also found getting good pairs of socks helped with my runs. Check out balega socks. Very comfy. Good luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    A reputable running store will evaluate your stride and gait to find the best shoe for you. Good luck! I run in New Balance Trail Minimus and Vibram Bilkila LS.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time fro new shoes alright! +1 on the advice to visit a running specialty store.

You may also want to google hip & glute exercises. While this sounds like a pretty straightforward shoe problem there are many knee and ankle problems that are really a result of muscular imbalances and/or hip and glute weaknesses.
  • Burrittanee
    Options
    thank you everyone! but is there a difference between running and walking shoes?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! but is there a difference between running and walking shoes?
    Yes. Try to get fitted and have your stride evaluated. It really can make all the difference, and doesn't cost any more.

I run on Brooks Pure Connect (minimalist) and sometimes on my regular Brooks.