I want to run/jogg, but I am out of shape..tips?

Options
I'm 40 yrs old, 5'3", 125lbs. i'm not overweight but I am trying to lose body fat and get toned up. I've started to exercise about one month ago, mainly walking, dumbells and abs workout. I also do Yoga once a week.
I've tried running or jogging a few times (or mix it in with my walks) but really, I am very out of shape and I feel a bit dizzy after just a few minutes!! I feel a bit ashamed about this...I mean, it's not normal I think? I have done no cardio exercices for the past few years so I kind of expected that it would be hard (and I admit, I HATE doing cardio exercise...although I know it is good and that I need to do it), but I feel like I'm the only one who can't jog.... Should I take more slowly? When I do my walks, I try to have a good pace so that my heart pumps a little so I get a bit of cardio exercise there.
But how long does it take for someone who is out of shape to get their body capable of running-jogging?
For those of you who are joggers-runners, either beginners or experienced, do you remember when you first started? was it hard?
Any tips or encouragment would help...

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Try a program like Couch to 5k. Start slowly and build up.
  • nicolelacek
    Options
    Running sucks if you go out too hard too soon. Take it slow. Run with a friend, it'll be easier. If you're getting dizzy it may be because you are not hydrating enough or eating enough close to your workouts. I agree with the Couch to 5k thing though, it seems like a good way to do it.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You dont seem overweight enough to cause a huge issue for your knees. It seems to be more a low fitness level. IF you are getting dizzy im going to go out on a limb and say you are breathing to fast. Not enough oxygen can cause dizziness. So when you do your running try to breath in for 2 -3 strides and exhale over the next 2-3 strides This will help you even out your breathing. Also remember In through your nose out through your mouth. DEEEP BREATHS!

absolutely use a C25K program
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is a great start as mentioned above make sure you drink plenty of water and eat something before you run/jog/walk. I was a terrible runner at first and this program really helped ease me into running! Good luck!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Do small stints of jogging while you walk. Take a walk and every 10 minutes jog for 1 minute. Next time you take a walk every 10 minutes jog for 2 minutes. Slowly build it up - you will be taking runs instead of walks in no time.
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    thank you for your tips :-)
    but it makes me think of something else...everytime I eat something before going for my walks, I get cramps-digestive pain...so maybe I should not eat before? or maybe I am not eating the right thing? I usually go for my walks at my lunch time at work, so I have my lunch before going for a walk (otherwise I'm too hungry!). and it's not a big lunch, small portion and healthy lunch...and maybe that might sounds weird, but it seems to be the raw vegetables that gives me more digestive gaz-pain?
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would start walking then gradually jogging then running. It takes time to run far but not to start running. hahah I was about to say your not out of shape at all.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thank you for your tips :-)
    but it makes me think of something else...everytime I eat something before going for my walks, I get cramps-digestive pain...so maybe I should not eat before? or maybe I am not eating the right thing? I usually go for my walks at my lunch time at work, so I have my lunch before going for a walk (otherwise I'm too hungry!). and it's not a big lunch, small portion and healthy lunch...and maybe that might sounds weird, but it seems to be the raw vegetables that gives me more digestive gaz-pain?

C25K is working for me, also I hit the elliptical most every day here lately. Easy on my knees and ankles! I eat really lite if I am going to run. Lean protein and complex carbs (If I cant go cardio on an empty stomach.). Then I do a cool down period and eat my real lunch... When I was in the Army I would do a Pre Run Protein powder, and a recovery drink afterward. Not so much any more...
  • dannyjones26
    Options
    Best thing I can recommend is to start using a bike or rowing machine on an interval training program get yourself breathing and heart pumping at cardio rate do this for a week without running after this run for a few minutes and then walk keep repeating within 3 days of doing this I bet your running again good luck
  • dannyjones26
    Options
    Are you eating plenty of fruit ? And also drink water before you eat by the time your lunch begins you should have consumed 3-4 glasses of water :drinker:
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    C25K plus strength training. The latter has really helped me with muscle fatigue from running, and now my C25K training is more about getting my lungs to keep up with my legs. If you have a smart phone you can also get one of the C25K apps that will tell you when to walk/run for the entire program and it can run simultaneously with any other music you have playing. I use C25K Pro.
  • mgood989
    mgood989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out you need to build up to running. Using a program like couch to 5k is a great way to get started as it starts you out slowly and lets you build up your endurance. You'll start out mixing walking with short jogs and then longer jogs as you build up your stamina. Before you know it you'll be doing longer runs.
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    thank you all, I will definitely look into that C25K thing.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough iron? Just wondering... I used to get dizzy from exertion when I was not getting enough iron.
    I do something I call 'pretend running' it is the running movement, just so much slower. Get into a groove you can handle for 15 minutes- do it 3x a week- then more.

Good luck!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I found, being a big guy who started with no stamina at all, that If I start out slowly. Mostly only walking and work my way up to doing intervals that it gets progressively easier. You just have to push yourself. Like i'll run at about 6mph for 3-4 mins and notice I quickly get my breath back then when I originally started. It's just about starting slowly and working your way up a little at a time.
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the question and responses. I will look into the same for my similar issues with running! Thanks again.