Tabata routine

Options
I want to create a list of workout that I can do at the gym using Tabata method (20 sec exercise,10 sec rest).

Cardio
Rowing, eliptical, squat, jumping rope, jump jack, mountain climb, maybe treadmill-could not start up the machine fast enough after 10 sec stop)
Swimming is a NO-When I grab for air, I compromise my swimming style, and stop in the middle of pool to do 10 sec rest.. ...

Strength - I don't know if it's a good idea to do tabata method
Sit up, squat with weight, deadlift, push up, plank on swiss ball.

Any other exercise I can add to my list?

Replies

• ChrissyM
    ChrissyM Posts: 23
    Options
    I learned about the Tabata method from a personal trainer I used to teach me strength training. It works very well with strength training exercises-squats, bicep curls, push ups, etc... He actually recommends it as a way to vary my workout and if for days I have only a short time at the gym.

I have to use a lighter weight when I do Tabata though.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's good to hear that your PT suggested it. I don't see much Tabata training in my gym.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm only doing Jump Rope - 20/10.
    Last week I was only able to get through 4 minutes. I'm aiming for 6 minutes this week and 8 minutes next week.
    I hear push ups are a great tabata exercise. I'm not so advanced that I can apply tabata to strength training. My goal anyway right now is to improve my cardiovascular health.