NEW MEMBER -- Calories calculated on this website -- are the

Options
Hi All,

I used to subscribe to weightwatchers.com (lost 42lbs but didn't want to pay anymore and also liked that I can track my sodium here) and my daily caloric allowance was lower on WW than it is on this website.

As well-- I use 'map my run' to figure out how far I've walked and what speed I've walked so that I can enter it into my daily exercise tracker on here.

mapmyrun.com always tells me I've burned about 1/3 less the calories that it says on here.

My question is this:

IS THERE ANYONE OUT HERE WHO EATS ALL THEIR CALORIES PLUS THEIR EXERCISE CALORIES AS STATED ON MYFITNESSPAL.COM AND STILL LOSES WEIGHT?

Thanks all!

-- Pink

Replies

• bsmartt
    bsmartt Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, I have lost 20 pounds so far. As far as the exercise calories, I think they do run a little high. So I would just keep that in mind. One way or another you can use the site to track calories as you eat them and set your own caloric intake.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Unless your using a Heart Rate Monitot I wouldn't recommend eating all of your calories....Reason being that MFP & all other calorie counters make assumptions about your heart rate during exercise which could impact your calorie burn in either direction. I recall many people recommending eating 50% of them. Personally, I got a HRM about a month into .y jourrney so I don't mind eating all my exercise calories if I am hungry b/c I'm more confident in my HRM's #'s than the #'s I can get from this & other sites. Just my 2 cents
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories if I'm hungry. I often go over my calories, and I'm still losing.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Unless your using a Heart Rate Monitot I wouldn't recommend eating all of your calories....Reason being that MFP & all other calorie counters make assumptions about your heart rate during exercise which could impact your calorie burn in either direction. I recall many people recommending eating 50% of them. Personally, I got a HRM about a month into .y jourrney so I don't mind eating all my exercise calories if I am hungry b/c I'm more confident in my HRM's #'s than the #'s I can get from this & other sites. Just my 2 cents

I completely agree with twighlight. I used to eat most of my exercise calories, but for the longest time, wasn't losing. Then I bought a HRM too, and same thing, I burned less calories than I'd thought. So once I started eating what I KNEW I could, I started losing again! :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My question is this:

IS THERE ANYONE OUT HERE WHO EATS ALL THEIR CALORIES PLUS THEIR EXERCISE CALORIES AS STATED ON MYFITNESSPAL.COM AND STILL LOSES WEIGHT?

Thanks all!

-- Pink

I bought an HRM because it drove me crazy not knowing. Worth every dime I paid.

That being said, I find the calories on here are pretty darn close to my real numbers burned. Usually within 10%.

I do not eat all of my exercise calories. I am set at 1/2 a pound a week, therefore I get around 1400 cals a day. I end up eating 60-70% of my exercise cals.

Now.......let me say, I am losing very sloooooooooooooowly because I am at the last 10 or so.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    How did you set your goals?

If you put down to lose 2 lbs a week then your daily calories will figure that in. For example your to maintain your weight you would have 2,000 calories, but to lose 2 lbs a week MFP will set your calories at 1200. So you are already at a 800 deficit for your daily calories to just lose weight. That is a lot. If you go over a deficit of 1000 calories a day then your body can go into starvation mode which you don't want. So if you exercise and burn 400 calories then you are at a 1200 deficit. NOT GOOD. That is why MFP give you your exercise calories to eat, to keep your metabolism going.

And 1200 calories a day is the minimum for women and I think 1500 is the minimum for men.

HTH,
    Demetria