Eating while doing P90X

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Good morning! I am starting the X today!! :drinker: I know there are a lot of P90Xers in this site. How much do you guys eat before a workout? I thought I read somewhere in the guidebook that one workout was best to do on an empty stomach. I am doing chest and back today. I just ate my usual oatmeal breakfast with nuts and protein powder. I am planning on waiting about an hr before I start to workout.

Also I am planning on following the recommendations for phase 1, the portion approach but modify it eating the foods I like to eat, which are mostly clean foods. I don't plan on buying any products online such as bars and recovery drinks. What do you guys think? I know this is based on the individual, not everyone is the same, but I want to hear from people who are doing/have done this program and have followed the diet recommendations.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    I KNOW there are a lot of MFPers doing P90X. Any input? Anybody?? :noway:

Oh, btw, I felt fine doing the workout. Did most pushups on my knees and was not able to do any pull ups but I did the back exercise with the bands. Ab ripper was great! I felt I had enough energy to support the workout. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

:flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    the forums are more dead on the weekend, just keep bumping this if it goes down the list!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thanks!! :flowerforyou: (consider this a bump :laugh: )
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Most opt for a small snack (a piece of fruit, toast with pb, protein shake, etc.). Some will do cardio on an empty stomach, especially Plyometrics.

I never tried the recovery drink; I use chocolate milk. I didn't go for the bars but I do make my own protein shakes; it helps get the extra calories in when you don't have the appetite.

Here is the P90X thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62847-p90x-starting-a-new-thread
  • jenj1983
    jenj1983 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am doing Power 90 which came out before P90X and have taken it and basically adapted it to my lifestyle. Power 90 is very similar to P90X with the exception that P90X is more intense. I started with Power 90 and will work my way to the X because I play tennis on average 3-5 times a week and get a lot of cardio that way. I didn't want to completely burn myself out.

Power 90 recommends exercising on an empty stomach and I have done it both ways really and I do find that I feel like I get more bang for my buck when my body has to pull fat from my thighs and not what I've just put in my stomach. Like you, my goal was to lose around 20 pounds and tone up really. I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose but felt I was getting a little flabby. I've never been one to follow a specific diet or routine to the T. I take it and adapt it to my lifestyle and I've always been successful this way. I've been doing Power 90 since August 3rd and I can really tell a difference. I've not lost a lot of weight (only 4 pounds), but feel much more toned and seem slimmer. I've had lots of people already notice the transformation :-)

So, do what you can, adapt it to your lifestyle, and you'll find results. Best of luck! I'm doing 90 days of Power 90 and then will move to the X!!
  • jenj1983
    jenj1983 Posts: 30
    Options
    Also, I do NOT buy bars or supplements online. I want to eat real food! I eat very healthily and take a good multi-vitamin. I feel great!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!! I don't like doing my workouts on a lot of food. If I eat anything, I just eat a banana. It's light enough that it doesn't make me sick.

How did the first workout go???? Post on the P90X thread!!