How do you track your food when on vacation?

Options
My family went out to Disney World last week. I am doing a low carb high protein diet. So far have lost 18lbs. I didn't over eat in Disney but I definitely did not count any of my food because the amount of different stuff I ate and the fact that there was absolutely no nutritional information available, as well as being on the go 100% of the time with three kids in Disney. So in short, I did not log into MFP during that time and log anything and I ate what I could when I was hungry.

I did eat a few extremely delicious and very large dinners including bread and regular sodas, cheesecake, you name it. I figured I was paying $200+ for a sit down dinner that I was going to enjoy it. Also, if you have ever been to Disney World, its about 95 degrees, 80% humidity and about 7-8 hours of non stop walking a day, so I actually got a lot of exercise. I would say we walked a good 30 miles in 5 days, if not more. Talk about sore legs.

Also, I shared a lot of meals. A regular meal at one of the parks is about $12 a person, so I would just split one with my wife. They did have salads at these places, but they cost more than the fried meals. I could not justify spending $15 on a mediocre salad with 4oz of chicken. A meal would be like 4 chicken tenders and a cup of fries and we would split it. I drank gallons of water a day.

I just feel bad about not tracking anything. Fortunately, I did not gain any weight, probably because of the walking and not eating all day, but only at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and stopping when I was satisfied, instead of just eating until I felt full. I did not lose any weight for that week either, but I did not have any problems getting back into the swing of things this week.

I have one more vacation this year for a week, we are headed to Galveston to spend the week at the beach. I should have an easier time controlling my food intake because we will be in a beach house and have a kitchen, so we can stock my usual items, but I am sure we will go eat at some place nice while we are out there. I am sure I will be able to eat a steak and steamed veggies wherever we go.

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me, I write everything in a notebook journal, and have been doing so since 2010 at the suggestion of my trainer. Even though I journal here on MFP, I come to rely on my home journal as I can see at a months glance how/what I was eating as well as my exercise routine which is quite helpful if I need to review what worked/what didn't work in the past. This journal has become my "wubby", and if i dont have it - even with me when I go to work, I'm figgity and feel lost until I have it with me again.

It's also great to have on vacation, so that even if I don't know all the nutritional info of what I'm eating, I can still write it down, and be accountable as to my food choices.

There is a MFP app for when you don't have access to a computer, but it is a little more difficult to navigate. I do make a effort to log at least 1-2 meals while on vacation with it, so I can keep my "log in" streak going. (I'm just over 180 days now).

Good LUck!