trying to be gluten free

Options
I have tried to cut bread out of my diet and someone suggested cutting gluten. I have been trying this for about three weeks. I can see and feel a difference in my stomach area ( not bloated). Does any one have any suggestion in regards to food . Good or bad

Replies

• dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cutting gluten from my diet three months ago was the best thing I did! Good for you!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free too! I have been since January and it was a great choice for me. I'm also mostly grain free. Going gluten free is not hard if you make the right choices. It means not replacing all of your flour based foods with their gluten free counterparts because those are often way higher in calories.

There are so many blogs with great gluten free recipes! Nomnompaleo is one of my favorite. All paleo cooking is gluten free, so check out those blogs too!
  • triciamarie
    triciamarie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am GF for almost one year after being diagnosed with hashimoto's and I am so glad I did it! I now realize the issues I had (constipation was one of them or lil rabbit terds as my hubby would say) and I have lost some weight without even really trying, my shape has changed and overall i just feel GREAT!!! Keep it up, it gets easier and you will not even crave those delish smellin bagels any more lol...no seriously I can smell them and say yum BUT I honestly dont want them cause i know how it would make me feel...just make the right choice and you will feel good :)
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I also recommend NomNom Paleo - that girl is the best! Also, I really love Mark's Daily Apple.

I found out earlier this year that I'm allergic/intolerant possible celiac (depends on the test), and I've since gone grain free.

I would recommend eliminating all of the bread/pasta products. The Gluten Free stuff almost always has a lot of sugar, soy and corn replacements, and if those bother you too, it's not worth it. I use Kelp noodles a lot, they're awesome.

Been living this way for 6 months now, and I feel better than I have EVER. If you need help or have questions, let me know.
  • sancan99
    sancan99 Posts: 2
    Options
    As a diagnosed Celiac who cannot eat gluten without serious health effects, I want to caution folks about going GF as a weight loss method. The foods that you cut out to avoid gluten can have benefits that being GF will miss - like fiber. If you find that you have some gluten intolerance and you perceive health benefits other than weight loss, then by all means do what makes you feel better. However, people like Miley Cyrus who are touting a GF diet as a way to lose weight make it harder for those of us who have medical reasons for being GF as people take our medical need less seriously. Yes, it does matter if you just take the croutons off the salad - I will notice and I will get sick. No, I can't have a little just this one time because I can give it up again tomorrow.

I hope things work out well for you.