Do I need a marriage certificate?

2»

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Neither my employer, nor my employer sponsored insurance company required a copy of my marriage certificate to include my husband--I was actually a litle surprised. Although I guess they can, at some point, require me to prove that we're married if they decide to do so.

As for a driver's license, when I last moved (to a new state), I don't think they even asked for my marital status. I think this would only come up if the name on your new license didn't match the name on your old one.

Personally, unless it was really expensive, I would want a copy, just in case, but that's just me.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Are you planning on moving anywhere? If you move out of state to a different state you will need it to get a new license. A coworker learned that the hard way. She was married in Mexico, lived in NY, moved to FL and didn't have her license. She had to call Mexico to get a copy of it. She hasn't reached them yet.
    Why would you need a marriage license to get a driver's license? That doesn't make sense.

Florida recently (circa2010) "reset" all the DMV records so EVERYONE has to prove their identity no matter how long you have held a FL license. That means showing your birth certificate and any and all marriage and/or divorce certificates that prove how you got from your birth name to your current name. A coworker had a real time trying to hunt down marriage and divorce papers from 3 marriages in three different states. She hadn't kept them as the most recent one was 20 years ago. This wouldn't be a problem for the OP if she's not changing her name but it is an example of an unplanned situation that could come up.