Vitamin Question

Options
I used to be really into taking vitamins when I was younger but I feel that I don't know what to take anymore. I would go to GNC to ask them, but they just direct you to the most expensive vitamins they have and probably a lot of unesscarily ones. What do you take as a woman? I know One a Day womans is supposed to be very good. Also, do you take fish oil, fiber, anything like that? And do you have to consult a doctor before taking vitamins?

-Danielle

Replies

• gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Its always a good idea to ask a doctor, they can run a blood panel and tell you what vitamins and minerals you are deficient in.
  • Clovermom
    Options
    Puritian's Pride, they are online. Great products and GREAT PRICES!!!!!!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I take one a day womans. I'm going to the DR. soon for a check up and I'm going to ask what vitamins I should be taking. Cindy :heart:
  • dlestermfp
    dlestermfp Posts: 106
    Options
    I am not a woman, so I can't answer from that perspective, but I do a lot of reading and generally speaking if you have an adequate diet you don't need to take any vitamins at all.

That being said, I take a pretty beefy multivitamin and I take an additional calcium supplement every evening with my dinner. I don't look at the vitamins as something I need, but more like an insurance policy. You buy insurance to cover you for things you don't really expect will ever happen. Same thing with the vitamins. I expect to get enough from my food, but if I don't, I am covered.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    If you are currently on medication, you should ask your doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements to make sure that it is safe. Vitamins are something that aren't really necessary if you have a well balanced and healthy diet, but for most people, it also doesn't hurt to take a daily multivitamin. I would generally steer clear of other supplements and instead find foods that contain whatever it is you feel is missing. Studies have shown that our bodies absorb vitamins and minerals better from whole food than from supplements and that they are more efficiently used as well. If you're concerned about getting more Omega-3's, then eat more fish. If you're concerned about getting more fiber, then eat more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and beans.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it isn't necessarily true that "it doesn't hurt to take a multivitamin" If you are getting what you need from your food, then you are adding a big multi on top of it, your body has to filter out the excess that is in that vitamin. lots of vitamins have more than 100% of the daily value of a given substance, so if you are eating balaced and then adding a pill thatr has 300% in it, you are adding a lot of extra filtering to your kidneys and liver. and many vitamins/minerals can be toxic in high doses.

eat well and leave the pills alone is my advice......but do check with a doctor-:flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i would ask a doctor or do some research on google, i have heard that some brands really aren't as good as others.

i take b12 however, and it is the lifebrand from shoppers drug mart. it helps with my memory significantly and my energy level.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    it isn't necessarily true that "it doesn't hurt to take a multivitamin" If you are getting what you need from your food, then you are adding a big multi on top of it, your body has to filter out the excess that is in that vitamin. lots of vitamins have more than 100% of the daily value of a given substance, so if you are eating balaced and then adding a pill thatr has 300% in it, you are adding a lot of extra filtering to your kidneys and liver. and many vitamins/minerals can be toxic in high doses.

eat well and leave the pills alone is my advice......but do check with a doctor-:flowerforyou:

some things we just don't get enough of in our diet, i agree with you for the most part, but most of us show up as deficient in b12 when it comes down to getting bloodwork done. a lot of foods don't offer it.