How Many Calories For Each Meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is almost always under 200 calories (cereal and soy or almond milk), plus a snack of equal size around 10:30 AM.

FWIW I was eating 1200 calories a day and eating back exercise calories and had no trouble losing 20 pounds, over the course of about 5 months, to reach my goal. Be careful with blanket statements- everyone's body is different!
  • martyne1981
    Options
    I have just read this thread about 3 times and am soooo confused!!! I have changed my lb marker to 0.5 after reading this and just have no idea what the heck I should be doing!! Arrghhh!!!
  • martyne1981
    Options
    I am really sorry to interrupt- I am so confused.

I was set at 2lbs a week which gave me 1200. If I exercise and want to eat back what i exercise- I would/will if I fancy it. Should I lower my lb to 0.5 a week if I only want to shift about another 5lbs?

Oh mannnnn- why do I get confused easily?!!! x
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yes. 0.5lbs is ideal if you only have a few to lose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To expand on what yarwell stated, the reason your body needs enough calories is simple, without enough fuel from fat stores, your body can convert the amino acids in your lean body mass in order to create energy. So instead of fat loss your have muscle loss.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    if you exercise and burn 500 calories you have made that defict 1000 calories, so you can still eat back those 500 exercise to get back to the 500 defict for the 1lb a week loss you chose.
    There is a problem with the 1200 minimum "robbing" people of their deficit, which is what he was getting at.

If for example the calculated deficit took you to 1000 you would be set at 1200 and lose 200 of the deficit, so exercising 500 and eating 500 would give you 200 less deficit than you expect.

This is the most common sense, intelligent, and responsible thing I've ever seen you post.

Well done.
    I am really sorry to interrupt- I am so confused.

I was set at 2lbs a week which gave me 1200. If I exercise and want to eat back what i exercise- I would/will if I fancy it. Should I lower my lb to 0.5 a week if I only want to shift about another 5lbs?

Oh mannnnn- why do I get confused easily?!!! x

If those pictures are you, and current...yes, .5lb/wk would be a much more reasonable, not to mention effective deficit.