If you ran the world....

Options
...what new rules would you put in place for food or food advertising?

For me I'd declare that all restaurants have to put their nutritional information ON THE MENU (not offered on a website, or in a brochure they never have in stock) and that it must include how many portions of each of the foodgroups a meal item contains (so for a huge burger it would have to say that it's 2.5 portions of meat, 2 portions of bread, .5 portions of veggies, 6 portions of fat, etc).

What would you do if you ruled the food world?

Replies

• karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    fast food restaurants and processed food would no longer be available.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    i'd cut the making of sodas, but it's only a thought...i'm pretty sure america would put me at the top of there hit list so i wouldnt really do it...we would be a lot healthier though
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Glad you don't, then. What gives anyone the right to legislate what I can eat?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make any food illegal but the packages would all have the nutritional info 3 times as big and on the front. I would also tax the hell out of nutritionally poor foods and use that money for fitness and nutritional education.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    This doesn't have to be sensible people, if somebody wants to ban all soda because THEY don't like it, then in this fantasy world they can do so!

I'd never get rid of all processed food because I rather like chicken fingers! But I'm game for making the entire front of the box/container/whatever nutritional information!
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    -Nutritional info must be provided at all restaurants
    -Cap Sodium content per food item.......no 5000mg sodium meals.
    -No late night fast food commercials (glad Disney is getting on board with this)
    -No MSG.....period.
    -No High Fructose Corn Syrup
    -No Aspartame
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Food can only be bought within 50 miles of where it was raised/grown. Backyard gardens/ livestock get tax breaks.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Declare that Percocets are food!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It'd be a not so benign dictatorship. I'd take all the subsidies for corn, soy, and meat and move them over to fresh fruits and vegetables. That would solve a whole lot of our health programs right there.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If I ran the world, there would be no more damn apostrophe abuse, or loosing weight.

Oh, and no more partially hydrogenated oils.

Signed,
    The Grammar Nazi
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This doesn't involve health or well-being (except the mental kind) but man, I'd make them step it up for product package design.
    I'm a graphic designer and it HURTS to see some of the terrible design choices that happen. If you're going to be packaged stuff, it should at least be beautiful to look at.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer and it HURTS to see some of the terrible design choices that happen. If you're going to be packaged stuff, it should at least be beautiful to look at.

I grew up surrounded by good design, both parents world renowned designers in fact. One thing I learned is that without bad design there would be no good design.