Am I addicted or just weird?

Options
I might not really want the answer to this question, because either way I don't know if I will feel better about my NEED to exercise everyday. I have always enjoyed being active and recently have found a new love for running. However, I have noticed that everyone I know either dislikes exercise or feels completely satisfied execising 3 to 5 days a week. I have 3 children and work full time, so it is a sacrifice for me to make time to fit in about 60 to 90 minutes for execising daily. But I go to great lengths to accomplish it.
The problem is that when I know my schedule is very full, I start to worry and get anxious to figure out when and how I am going to fit in some sort of workout. But my friends and family make me feel like I am selfish and maybe even addicted. I consider myself happy and healthy, but what is this inner question I am constantly asking myself; why can't I just NOT exercise and be ok with that?

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this.

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    First of all I have to say NEVER let anyone make you feel selfish for taking time for yourself . You are doing so much for your family by taking that time to stay healthy & strong. I know what you mean about feeling addicted or something . I love my workouts. While I'm not running yet I do walk 13-14 minute miles. I like to walk 5 miles every day. If I don't I feel weird and MISS IT !! I LOVE the way exercise makes me feel. I think we should count ourselves as Lucky. Loving something that is great for you is a wondeful thing !!!! Have a great day- Cindy :heart:
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    NEITHER.

YOU obviously enjoy exercising and it makes YOU a better person. The BEST thing you can do for your family is to take time for yourself. That way, you have more time and patience for them.

YOU totally rock!!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY know how you feel. You explained me about a year ago. I am a runner myself and when I first started really running consistently I would run every single day no matter what. Then I started volleyball season, college so very demanding. We were practicing at least 5 hours a day and I felt bad I wasn't running but I was still working out! There were even days where I still ran too and I never took a day off completely... well it caught up to me and I got very sick and relapsed twice during my season! It was awful... now I know that its ok to take a day off and I won't gain weight if I do. I think its ok to work out 6 days a week but you should be taking one day off for your body to recover or if you really can't fit it in IT'S OK :happy: Sorry so long, you just took me back completely!

~Leash :heart:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound to me like you have a problem. Your health is a huge priority because if you can't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else.

I love exercise too and I do it every day. When I know I won't be able to do it, I do get a little stressed and disappointed. The trick is that when you don't have any control over it, you have to just let it go and not let it affect the rest of your life. It becomes unhealthy if you let it control your moods or the way you feel about yourself when you don't get to do it. :flowerforyou:

Good for you for making YOU a priority. :bigsmile:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I totally understand:flowerforyou:
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! Excercise and taking care of my overall health is very important to me! People who usually call me an excercise addict are usually people that dont workout! They take the dedication and commitment as an addiction. I

I have 4 children, husband and full time work! I make sure that I get a workout in during the morning and evening! My family knows that's what keeps me sane.

I feel anxious as well If my workouts are threatned. Ive been late for work many a time because Im squeezing in my workouts! I say forget what others say and do what makes you happy! The endorphins that excercise brings is amazing and I loveeeeeee it! So if they say your selfish for doing something you love then so be it!

Steph
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    dont let people tell you that exersize is a great thing that your doing for your health its not selfish its taking care of yourself and its a good thing that all of us should do
  • StartingOver
    Options
    If its something that's causing you anxiety, or you feel that you have to do it out of compulsion, I might consider talking to someone about it. It can turn into a very serious disorder called anorexia athletica (or obligatory exercise). Here's a description -

if you find yourself identifying with any of these, I urge you to seek help.

Compulsive exercise is often referred to as anorexia athletica, obligatory exercise, and exercise addiction. Anorexia athletica is when a person no longer enjoys exercise, but feels obligated to do so. A victim, most prominently a female between the ages of 12 and 19, may experience a sense of guilt and anxiety when missing a work out, and not even sickness or injury can stop him/her from fulfilling the need for exercise.

Individuals with anorexia athletica may:

1. Repeatedly exercise beyond the requirements for good health.
    2. Be a fanatic about weight and diet,
    3. Steal time to exercise from work, school, and relationships.
    4. Strive to achieve and master ever more difficult challenges. Forgets that physical activity can be fun.
    5. Define self-worth in terms of performance.
    6. Rarely or never satisfied with athletic achievements. Small satisfactions are fleeting. Does not savor victory. Pushes on to the next challenge immediately.
    7. Justifies excessive behavior by defining self as a "special" elite athlete.

:flowerforyou: Best of luck :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, this isn't referring to people who simply enjoy exercise, it's referring to those that feel compelled to exercise and no longer have control
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think exercising is addictive. It really is okay to take a day off. I'm a teacher so now I am really busy but try to work out as much as I can. If i miss a day, I make sure i do something the next. Sometimes I need to excercise at 5 in the morning. Also just being active such as taking the kids for a walk, may not get your heart rate up but at least you are moving. I mean do we usually stop doing things we like?
  • stephcheers
    Options
    if you find yourself identifying with any of these, I urge you to seek help.

Compulsive exercise is often referred to as anorexia athletica, obligatory exercise, and exercise addiction. Anorexia athletica is when a person no longer enjoys exercise, but feels obligated to do so.

Thanks. This actually was reassuring to read, because I do not feel that I fit the anorexia athletica criteria. I just love to exercise. It's nice to hear that there are other people out there making the effort to feel good. I don't worry that I will gain weight from taking a day off, but it is more about stress relief and enjoyment. Now if I could just get a few more friends/ coworkers/ family to come along on my runs!
    :wink:
  • StartingOver
    Options
    I'm glad I could help :)

Enjoying to exercise is definitely a positive, and if you don't meet any of those criteria, I wouldn't worry too much about it - just keep on keeping on and maybe try to coax some of the naysayers to go on a run!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Working out makes you feel good- there's no way around it. Don't ever feel bad about something that's so good for you and so necessary. You like to exercise, there are worse things to like. :smile:

I don't like going to bed if I haven't exercised. Gotta love those endorphins!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY know how you feel. You explained me about a year ago. I am a runner myself and when I first started really running consistently I would run every single day no matter what. Then I started volleyball season, college so very demanding. We were practicing at least 5 hours a day and I felt bad I wasn't running but I was still working out! There were even days where I still ran too and I never took a day off completely... well it caught up to me and I got very sick and relapsed twice during my season! It was awful... now I know that its ok to take a day off and I won't gain weight if I do. I think its ok to work out 6 days a week but you should be taking one day off for your body to recover or if you really can't fit it in IT'S OK :happy: Sorry so long, you just took me back completely!

~Leash :heart:

I agree with Leash....It's great that you love to exercise and you should have something for just YOU to enjoy. However it does worry me some that you have anxiety over it and feel like you HAVE to work out everyday no matter what. I think addictions to anything, whether it be alcohol, drugs or good stuff like exercise can be very dangerous if it is affecting your life negatively.

I think you should try for a couple weeks to just take one day off a week. When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself that you are not going to work out that day, that you'll get other things done that you need to and that it is OK to take a day off. I don't think your working out is a problem, I think you inability to take a day off without feeling horribly racked with guilt could be a problem.

Also, maybe try incorporating other people into it....how young are your kids? Could they maybe ride bikes alongside while you run? Could you get one of those running strollers to put them in and push it while you run if any of them are that young?

Remember, it's great that you work out and that you enjoy it, but I think you could be on a path to end up hating it just because you feel so compelled to do it.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    You're not addicted or weird or alone. There's a great book called Younger Next Year that makes a great case for getting at least 40-60 minutes of vigorous exercise every day for the rest of your life, especially as you get on in years. It might be good to read it so you have some scientific ammunition to fall back on every time you feel like you're over-exercising.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    well I don't know about being addicted. I exercise daily for at least 60 minutes. I wouldn't say I love to exercise but I like the way it makes me feel. I have battled low grade depression for many years and 60 minutes of daily exercise has alleviated this problem as long as I do it consistantly (daily). Doctor reccommended therapy, no meds required.
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I was up to 221+ and the time I took for "ME" was a pint of ice cream or more in less than 30 minutes. Or maybe a WHOLE Tombstone pizza, or a couple of candy bars. In February I finally decided I didn't like what I had become. I ordered a home gym. Even my doctor was skeptical. That gym kicked my butt for the first few weeks, but it FELT good. It felt better than ice cream and a whole pizza and all that other sh**. I work out 60-90 minutes almost every day. That is now MY time. I feel better than I have in decades! An acquaintance yesterday commented that maybe I was anorexic because of how thin I've gotten. My daughter stepped in and quickly defended me, saying that we had split a 10" margherita pizza the night before. Then this woman asked if I KEPT IT DOWN! I was dumbfounded. My BMI is still slightly above the healthy range. My initial goal of 140 may be a little low, but 145-150 is TOTALLY realistic for my size/frame. I LIKE ME! I like me better than I have in a long, long, time. My husband has agreed that I can add more equipment to my arsenal since I'm wearing out my little gym. KEEP ON RUNNING! I wish I didn't have a bad ankle or I'd join you! DO NOT FEEL GUILTY OR WIERD OR ADDICTED. TAKE CARE OF YOU! It makes it a whole lot easier to take care of everyone else when you are happy with who you are. (I also have 3 kids, husband, granddaughter, dog, cats, etc. but am lucky enough to not have to work outside home right now. Even if I did, I would MAKE THE TIME FOR ME!) Sorry this is so long, what I'm trying to say is BE SELFISH, take that time for you. Everyone in your life will benefit!

249436.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I work out 60-90 minutes almost every day. That is now MY time. I feel better than I have in decades!

I LIKE ME! I like me better than I have in a long, long, time. My husband has agreed that I can add more equipment to my arsenal since I'm wearing out my little gym. KEEP ON RUNNING! I wish I didn't have a bad ankle or I'd join you! DO NOT FEEL GUILTY OR WIERD OR ADDICTED. TAKE CARE OF YOU! It makes it a whole lot easier to take care of everyone else when you are happy with who you are.

I love your passion! Thanks! This is an amazing site. It has been very inspirational and it is because of people like you who have taken the time to cheer others on.

:flowerforyou:
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    Someone said it perfect, people who say that its an addiction mainly do not work out. Im not saying that it cant get to dangerous levels, but do not apologise for working out and creating a better quality of life for yourself.

I think people do not understand that once you make the decision to change your lifestyle, you do have to be focused almost to the point of obsession to acheive your goals. My friends were really surprised when i went to the gym on my BIRTHDAY !!

If you dont focus then all the people that say "your taking it too seriously" in my experience contributes to you slowly becoming demotivated.

You go for want you want and dont let anything get in your way as i will bet my house that your still a fantasic mother !!

All the best