why

Options
so ive been here a year and haven't lost any i just want to change myself image it sucks that ive struggled so much and nothing to show sory for mopen

Replies

• FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me - controlled sodium intake, increased water intake, sugar (I'm diabetic so this is very important to me) from any source is restricted, less carbs and more protein. I stall out when my carb to protein ratio isn't about equal and when my salt in-take exceeds the 2500 for more than 2 days in a row.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For us to understand your caloric needs (CN) can you post your height, & weight & your exercise routine? Also, you should track protein. I did notice, your carbs are pretty high. Additionally, if you have PCOS or Hypo/hyperthyroidism, that could be beneficial to know as well. If you want, feel free to PM this info.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, you may be eating too much. I don't know your stats, but it doesn't look like you log much exercise, so a lower intake may be appropriate. Have you tracked your ups and downs over the past year? What are you doing different if there are any weeks you do see a decrease?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? What do you have your activity level set to and why?
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    What have you done in the past year to change any bad habits? Just gettin on this site is a small step, you have to make changes for yourself..

Your bio states that you overeat and like junk food? Have you worked to change that? There are numerous people on here that (I am sure) would love to support and help you out, I am one, but change happens when you decide it will...I sent a FR
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In addition to your height, weight and activity level, it would be good to know what deficit you have chosen. I am a man (more calories straight away) 6' 1" tall and weight over 250lbs. My daily goal is 1670 calories (1000 deficit) so 2000 for you seems quite high. If you have set your activity level high, how sure are you that you are achieving that level of activity? Have you considered investing in something like a fitbit to actually measure your activity level throughout the day?
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    It looks like you have your calories set to 2000. Make it smaller, maybe.
    Don't go too small, even lowering it to 1700 or 1800 could do something.
    Make sure when you're logging exercise to do it honestly and accurately as possible. Same with your lifestyle - when they ask for sedentary, active etc.

Keep working on it.
    If all else fails you should go to a doctor and see if there's an underlying issue preventing weight loss.
    Or a nutritionist to help you get on a plan that will help you better.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If all else fails you should go to a doctor and see if there's an underlying issue preventing weight loss.

If you happen to be lucky enough to have health insurance, and even better, a doctor who will also refer you to a nutritionist, this advice seems like the best you're going to get.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

If you happen to be lucky enough to have health insurance, and even better, a doctor who will also refer you to a nutritionist, this advice seems like the best you're going to get.

You can also contact your local hospital's Physician Referral side to find a physician's office that works with a sliding fee scale, or if you live close to a Health Dept in your area, they offer many programs available that can either help you, or direct you to those who can help....
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options

There are cheap clinics around.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kodi, do you actually weigh/measure your food or are you just guesstimating most of the time? That is where I found I began to slip when I was logging and stopped losing. I figured I knew "roughly how much" I was eating but I was SO WRONG. Go to the dollar store, get measuring cups and spoons and invest $10 in a food scale. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED, I guarantee it.

I also think, having watched your diary over time because you've been my friend, that you need to change the WHAT you eat, not just the how much. Because at the end of the day, 2000 calories of GOOD food is WAY better than 2000 calories of pan fried potatoes and cheese stuffed chicken, sorry. :( Perhaps invest in a heart rate monitor to measure how many calories you are actually burning at Zumba because I know that is one of your favourite exercises (I am not brave enough to try it yet, I am SOOO uncoordinated!).

At the end of the day, if you're doing everything right and things STILL aren't moving, don't give up. It is NEVER a waste of time to treat your body the way that it deserves to be treated by fueling it with CLEAN fuel and moving it in the way it was designed to be moved. Best of luck!
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    first off,
    i dont eat junk food i went to many doctors and they told me to eat 2000 calories a day because its woud be a natural deficit of 700 calories a day alone second i measure my food on a scale digital so yea i do measure everything. i was diagnosed with hypothyroism when i was a child now apparently its normal ive done a lot of changes i do not eat junk food you read the profile wrong i cook everything i eat and some things i put on my diary arent not what they ar pan friend potatoes is not what it seems but fits the decription so ive changed tons of things i also am on my feet 90 percent of the day i dont sit on my *kitten*
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    kodijhill, you seemed pretty defensive in your response. I'm not trying to pick. You know best what your habbits are like. But the fact of the matter is, if you haven't lost anything in the year you've been here, you need to be honest with yourself, and ask yourself what it is you could be doing differently. The only way we can all help you through the forum is if you tell us exactly what it is you've been doing, what you're diet and habbits have been like, and what areas you feel you might need improvement or help. By viewing your food diary, there's a lot I could tell you, but if you know you're eating exactly the way you're supposed to be eating, and you're exercising like you say you are, then I guess nobody really has anything useful to offer that would help you. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    @Kodijhill
    Don't want to sound harsh but your response sounds quite defensive. You have been given a lot of good advice and by your own admission what you have been doing so far has not been effective. I'm sure you have made changes - just maybe not enough. By following the suggestions given you could find out why you are not losing weight and get yourself on the right path.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In looking at just your diary....it is all over the place. In looking at the past 3 weeks, you only have this last week consistently tracked. Basing it off of this, you are not drinking enough water as your diet is high in sodium. Additionally, you have a few days over your goals on calories and your sugars appear to be too high. I did not look to see how much was fruit, but if its next to nothing, your feeding your body an easier means of storing the excess calories.

Simply put...eat up to 100% of the calorie goal, drink a crap load of water, and you will see results. Just know it takes time

EDIT: In seeing your comments about the doctor...his numbers could be incorrect. Here is a great link to find your BMR (Although, MFP has this built in). I do suggest for the BMR, using MFP's goals.
    http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why did you start this thread if you're going to be defensive at people who are trying to help you?
    They are right you know. If you've been here for a whole year and seen no result, then something is really wrong.
    Junk food is not only McDonald and Burger King. All the frozen meals like lean cuisine and such have so many preservatives, sodium, added sugar in them. They are not healthy.
    Stop eating pasta, it's way too easy to overeat. Stop drinking sweet teas and STOP EATING PROCESSED SUGAR!
    What you eat is more important than the quantity. If you eat whole foods, nothing processed, you'll be satiated more easily and you won't feel the need to overeat on junk. You have to change completely the way you eat. Don't you agree?
    And you have to exercise. Don't think just about lowering your weight but also increasing your overall health.
    I also agree with the poster who mentioned PCOS and diabetes. You should be checked out for those conditions.
  • Jeankyy
    Jeankyy Posts: 32
    Options
    Make sure to consume less than your BMR. Cardio won't hurt either.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    SMASH things often!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Junk food is not only McDonald and Burger King. All the frozen meals like lean cuisine and such have so many preservatives, sodium, added sugar in them. They are not healthy.
    Stop eating pasta, it's way too easy to overeat. Stop drinking sweet teas and STOP EATING PROCESSED SUGAR!

I also agree with the poster who mentioned PCOS and diabetes. You should be checked out for those conditions.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with a good chunk of this. Stop eating past, McDonalds...yada yada ydad. So much bull****. It's about caloric intake. Please see my post above. You can "cap" foods in moderation. I know...because I do and I've love 50 pounds...

Is it overall healthier to abstain from fast food and frozen meals...yes.but you dont HAVE to.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Eat less, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think a tdee of 2700 is very optimistic. On your feet all day is one thing, moving while your on them is another.