Low Carb, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach...which do you follow??

Options
Hi,
Been looking into all these different lower carb diets and was wondering...which do you follow/recommend and how many carbs are you allowed? Which is the easiest lifestyle change to stick with? Can you have skim milk with any?

Replies

• tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well it really depends on your personal metabolism. I lost weight with adkins, but gained it back (beer). I eat somewhat low-carb high protein now, but don't follow a specific diet book.

Around 75% of the population are protein-efficient metabolizers and do well on adkins, paleo, south beach style of diet. Around 20% are carbohydrate efficient metabolizers and have trouble burning protein and fat. These are the people you see that can eat two pieces of cake, or an entire basket of dinner rolls but are still skinny. Around 5% of the population have metabolisms that synthesize both well.

Figure out what your body does better and go with it. I eat a lot of protein and it has helped me lose weight, but I'm not "cold-turkey" no carb.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    I eat everything except fast food. I don't watch my carbs, or sugar if it's from fruit. I think all those diet plans u mentioned are not good long term. I wod never want to eliminate breads, or eat only one kind of food my whole life.
    I just do the " eat clean and and certain things in moderation lifestyle" I hope u find what works
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I eat everything except fast food. I don't watch my carbs, or sugar if it's from fruit. I think all those diet plans u mentioned are not good long term. I wod never want to eliminate breads, or eat only one kind of food my whole life.
    I just do the " eat clean and and certain things in moderation lifestyle" I hope u find what works

This. I have my calories set and eat anything I want as long as I stay under. I do eat plenty of veggies, salads and sandwiches. Why limit yourself?
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My carbs are 40%. It's usually around 100 a day. I have to because I have metabolic syndrome. It will be a life long thing for me. I use to be a huge carb person. I don't miss it.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I used to follow the South Beach Diet to a t...now I become calorie obsessive but I think the core might still be very similar to SBD.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs
    I go by the calories
    I stay with healthy food, low in fat
    Carbs are what give you energy for those workouts!
  • albayin
    Options
    I'm addicted to the Advocare program. It's a total lifestyle change! Huge focus on making sure you are eating the proper amounts of protein, fat, & carbs - but GOOD proteins, fats, & carbs. If you want more info, just inbox me :)

I thought you said "AVOCADO program". LOL
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My carbs are 40%. It's usually around 100 a day. I have to because I have metabolic syndrome. It will be a life long thing for me. I use to be a huge carb person. I don't miss it.

I aim to eat no more than 100g per day. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance before my last pregnancy, it went into "remission" ( I guess that is what you would call it), and I have not had lab work showing it has returned...yet. I chose to go back to restricting carbs when I struggled to lose 7 lbs in 3 months. Just for giggles and grins, I cut carbs and lost like 9-10 pounds in 5 weeks. DO I miss pasta and stuff like that? yes...but then I have a VERY small portion, and I am fine. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits within my macros.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I march to my own drummer. Having PCOS, carbs are not my friend so I keep them low and from natural sources. Having read The Wheat Belly, I decided to give up wheat and guess what the belly got better!

I go minimal processed food, minimal sugar that's not from a natural source, as low sodium as I can manage and of course low carbs. It works for me!

Find your balance by experimenting!
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    IMAO,

Everything in moderation. Just eat clean, homemade food whenever possible. Personally, Im 35% Carbs, 35% Protein, 30% Fat.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would say a mish-mash of paleo/primal/atkins. I don't really follow ALL the 'rules' of any one in particular:
    -I still eat some dairy (haven't fully given up cheese) and don't always eat all grass-fed meats - so not exactly fully paleo/primal
    -But I avoid all processed foods as much as I can, which are still allowed on atkins. Same with artificial sweeteners.
    -I eat some fruits in moderation, depending on what I can tolerate. Primal/paleo allows fruits, Atkins sort of does (depends on the phase). I eat berries, bananas sometimes, but avoid apples as they trigger cravings. I'll be hungry 45 minutes after eating one.
    -both are (or should be!) heavy on the veggies! that's where your carbs will come from.
    -I vary my carb levels, depending on activity level. sometimes even cycle - I don't go with a set number.
    -I try not to eat legumes (including peanuts & pb), which are allowed on atkins (depends on phase)

Trying a "primal" diet is what made me realize I'm gluten-intolerant. So it's much easier for me to avoid breads, pastas, cakes, etc, now that I know the consequences! No more bloating, IBS, eczema, bad allergies, acid reflux, etc - they call come back if I eat wheat.

Read up on all of them - try the library for books. Find what works for you.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Non of the above....I try to aim for a balance, with a slight emphasis on protein as it is satiating and is better while I'm lifting
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just gave up bread and bread products. That's it, nothing complicated. I'm under on carbs just about every day without trying. I have no idea whether this is a good thing or a bad thing or a neutral thing, to be honest.

I did start losing again after stalling for the zillionth time, but I have no idea if I will keep losing. It's only been a couple weeks.

Also, I've read many posts that say once you give up bread, you better not start eating it again unless you just want to gain it all back.

But I do find it slightly easier to stay full on less calories. Slightly.

Forgot to add my belly feels less hard and swollen, especially on days when I also have little to no dairy.
  • albayin
    Options
    Non of the above....I try to aim for a balance, with a slight emphasis on protein as it is satiating and is better while I'm lifting

You look Amazing!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In general low carb diets are not really recommended for people who are very active or following rigorous weight loss regimens. Your carb intake should be related to your activity level. They're more or less just band-aids for people who can't or won't exercise to lose weight.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers and that worked for awhile and then I stalled! I'm now doing atkins/south beach diet! I'm restricting carbs and I started on Monday and have lost 1.5 pounds so far!
  • albayin
    Options
    I just gave up bread and bread products. That's it, nothing complicated. I'm under on carbs just about every day without trying. I have no idea whether this is a good thing or a bad thing or a neutral thing, to be honest.

I did start losing again after stalling for the zillionth time, but I have no idea if I will keep losing. It's only been a couple weeks.

Also, I've read many posts that say once you give up bread, you better not start eating it again unless you just want to gain it all back.

Forgot to add my belly feels less hard and swollen, especially on days when I also have little to no dairy.

Not sure if you manually treaked the setting. But if you use MFP and leave it default, I think the carb intake is set pretty high, 55%or something like that...
  • rsak5001
    rsak5001 Posts: 1
    Options
    In the last 3 months I've become a real believer in the paleo diet. I'm about 85% compliant with its recommendations. I've found eliminating gluten and grains (for the most part - beer is made of grains) has done wonders for how I feel and improving my physical appearance. I've always been in pretty good shape and paleo regiment took it to another level. I tried the paleo while preparing for the Tough Mudder and I attribute much of my performance to the diet. I'd recommend reading anything by Robb Wolf and the book "Wheat Belly" by a cardiologist whose name escapes me right now.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Not sure if you manually treaked the setting. But if you use MFP and leave it default, I think the carb intake is set pretty high, 55%or something like that...

The base carb intake for MFP assumes you're going to be getting a good amount of exercise in which is why it sets it so high. Carbs are necessary workout fuel.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i have mine set at 20% which gives me about 75 grams of carbs i actually feel really good eating less carbs. i can tellt he difference when i eat high carbs especially like white flour. im not doing any specific program. just watching my carbs and calories at the same time .. but i can say im not losing.

sigh