PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS

before starting on MFP i weighed 135lbs at 5'7. i ate out almost everyday. burgers, fries, pizza, pasta, shakes, pie, ect. dont get me wrong. i ate healthy food as well and i didnt just scarf down all kinds of junk. i just went out to eat alot, ordered my meal, ate until i was full and occasionaly got dessert. but i never gained weight. no matter what i ate i always stayed the same weight.... now i am tracking because i wanted to lose about 10lbs and i eat super healthy and clean and am terrified of "cheating" cuz i will gain.... how the hell does that work or make any sense? if i eat junk everyday i dont gain but if i eat junk once every few weeks i gain?

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    before starting on MFP i weighed 135lbs at 5'7. i ate out almost everyday. burgers, fries, pizza, pasta, shakes, pie, ect. dont get me wrong. i ate healthy food as well and i didnt just scarf down all kinds of junk. i just went out to eat alot, ordered my meal, ate until i was full and occasionaly got dessert. but i never gained weight. no matter what i ate i always stayed the same weight.... now i am tracking because i wanted to lose about 10lbs and i eat super healthy and clean and am terrified of "cheating" cuz i will gain.... how the hell does that work or make any sense? if i eat junk everyday i dont gain but if i eat junk once every few weeks i gain?

It's all in your mind. LOL how did you know if you cheat you will gain?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,202 Member
    i just went out to eat alot, ordered my meal, ate until i was full....

I think thats the key statement. A lot of people either dont feel full until they over eat or they just are never satisfied. Many eat till their plate is empty. I see thin people all the time with a plate of not particularly healthy food and they are lucky if they eat a quarter of it when they stop because they feel full. I never felt full (unless I overate) until just recently when I stopped eating so much.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    MMM you could be right about that, ive seen lost of really thin people eat and they eat nothing compared to me.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member

The "cheat" gain is most likely just water due to a higher sodium day or something like that. It's not fat gain unless your "cheat" was 3500 calories (x however many lbs you gain) over your maintance calories.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Your diet is protein heavy, and most "cheating" (like that spaghetti you're wanting tonight) is carb heavy. When you introduce more carbs, you will retain water the next day or two. You've seen my diary. RFL requires a "cheat meal" each week, and I always gain a couple of pounds right back, even though I'm still at a ridiculous deficit (just one more week, btw, till I go back to a 1200 cal minimum). You treat your body very well. Don't be afraid of one cheat meal every now and then :wink:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member

The "cheat" gain is most likely just water due to a higher sodium day or something like that. It's not fat gain unless your "cheat" was 3500 calories (x however many lbs you gain) over your maintance calories.

^^this.

Also, I can't help but think about smokers. If you smoke, inhaling a cig is no problem. If you don't smoke, you cough. Your body adjusts to the harmful behaviors you do to it. When you eat healthy, you are detoxing, cleaning house, losing weight, getting healthy...when you toss toxins (or excessive sodium) back into the system, you're body will react the way it's supposed to (retaining water fora few days in this case).

I gained like 5 lbs over the weekend while I was on vacation. I got back two days ago. I was up peeing all night lastnight...and surprise surprise, I'm down 3 lbs from yesterday. It'll come off!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    maybe its all in my head and im just being crazy :noway: but sometimes i feel like i work so hard to stick to my cals/macros and kicking *kitten* in the gym i dont want to ruin the weeks work on a stupid cheeseburger. maybe i just need to learn to let go every once in a while