Honey

Options
I am trying to slowly cut sugar out of my diet. Is honey considered sugar? I was just wondering because a couple of different sights say that honey is OK for you to use.

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think it is considered a sugar. In my opinion however, honey vs processed white sugar is better for you health wise. It has amino acids which are good for you.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/compare/comparison-analysis
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    the caloric value is about the same, but sugar is processed and heated, recrystalized etc..... Honey especially raw honey is more pure. I never use sugar, I always use raw honey or I use agave nectar when baking.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Honey is fructose and glucose, so it is a disaccharide...aka a natural sugar! I love it in my yogurt :)
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the caloric value is about the same, but sugar is processed and heated, recrystalized etc..... Honey especially raw honey is more pure. I never use sugar, I always use raw honey or I use agave nectar when baking.
    I am just curious about the agave nectar...do you use it to replace the white or brown sugar for when you are baking something like....I don't know...cookies:happy: . I saw it at the grocery store the other day and wanted to buy it, but couldn't think of anything to use it for.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I actually use for both brown and white. If I have a recipe that really requires brown/no substitutes, I'll use organic brown. Agave works in the same amount sugar does 1cup = 1cup. Some of my favorite recipies I use it in are...

cooking light apple cake
    sangria
    LF oatmeal raisin cookies
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    calorie wise it is the same however honey has more to offer than regular sugar, not to mention it is the one and only food on the planet that never expires.

www.benefits-of-honey.com