Extra skin?

lmwhite3473
lmwhite3473 Posts: 22
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering, I have lost some weight about half of my goal. I HAVE NOT had any bariatric surgery. I was wondering if when I reach my goal if I will have any extra skin since I have a large amount to lose. Has anyone lost a large amount? (about 110 lbs) Extra skin?

Replies

• artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    I have LARGE amounts of excess skin. I will require a tummy tuck to take care of my mid section. My consultation is in October and the surgery should happen within two months of that. I lost weight the good old fashion way & did it at a slow pace over about 4 years with a healthy diet & exercise. There's not a ton that you can do to avoid it but it will make it better to do weight training & proper exercise now :smile:
  • I was an obese child, and I lost a hundred pounds towards the end of adolescence.
    I did not lose the weight in a healthy manner, and ended up with disgusting sagging skin on my front.

I had resigned myself to the fact I'd have to live with it until I was able to afford plastic surgery. But, then I started reading about it online and the fitness community had much different things to say about it than the plastic surgery.

I've been working on toning muscles, and losing the excess fat and I've seen a tremendous difference in the skin on my stomach. I've also been looking into firming creams. While they are topical, so you have to apply them everyday or the results disappear, I have read tremendously good things about them.

I think you should be fine so long as you work on toning as well as weight loss, and it continues in a healthy way.
  • art school girl - if you don't mind my asking, do you know how much the surgery will cost?
  • artschoolgirl
    Hi there :smile: Well, it's not going to be cheap, about $10,000-$11,000 Canadian. I've been saving & ready to go! My story is similar to yours, obese as a child & l lost the weight at the end of my teens/early twenties. I've worked with a trainer & now working extensively with tonight & weight training. It does make a big difference but no matter what, and according to several doctors & trainers i've spoke to, I will require the surgery to remove the large amounts of excess.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Hi there :smile: Well, it's not going to be cheap, about $10,000-$11,000 Canadian. I've been saving & ready to go! My story is similar to yours, obese as a child & l lost the weight at the end of my teens/early twenties. I've worked with a trainer & now working extensively with tonight & weight training. It does make a big difference but no matter what, and according to several doctors & trainers i've spoke to, I will require the surgery to remove the large amounts of excess.

Where are they going to take the extra skin from? What areas do you have the most skin?
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    I have a lot of extra skin and require a full body lift. In my town it will cost about 30,000 for a full body lift.
  • artschoolgirl
    Mine is mostly around my stomach, LOTS around my stomach. My back, arms, breasts, and inner thighs could use a lift, but i'll just stick with the tummy tuck for now. Way to go Marsbeauty on the loss :smile: I think everyone who has put in the work deserves anything that will help polish them to feel fully beautiful. I know for me that it's not just cosmetic but also because it's a physical & painful set back. I have problems jogging and doing certain exercises for long periods of time because the excess skin causes me pain.
This discussion has been closed.