ON THE HUNT FOR FOODS WITH NO/LOW SODIUM AND NO/LOW CARBS

Options
PinkDog
PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
I always have lots of calories left at the end of the day but no sodium or carbs. I eat very healthy but still struggle here -- any tips on foods that are low in both sodium and carbs?

Thanks--Pink

Replies

• nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Broiled chicken breast with no skin. cut off the fat and doen't use salt. I love chicken. Mostly all protein.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Fruits & Veggies - both natural and low in sodium. Watch sugar (thus carb) content if you're consuming a lot of fruits though.

Eggs are also no carb and low sodium. :wink:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Unsalted nuts have no carbs and almost no sodium. All meats have no carbs and are naturally pretty low in sodium. Chicken has the highest natural sodium content. I believe it's about 170mg per 4oz serving.
  • biochemnrd
    Options
    Egg whites, Natural Peanut Butter (though it is high in fat), fruits/vegetables (of course), unsalted almonds, and most meats..... and that's all I could think of right now.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Your carbs are set at 71 that is way low. You can customize your percentages for protein carbs and fat. I do 30 percent carbs 20 percent fat and the rest protein.
  • twallwork
    Options
    yeah, I agree....your carbs are set way low....besides, carbs are not the enemy here....but refined sugar is !!!!!! you may want to cut down on those and increase your protein.....for example, processed cereals are high in sodium and sugar....instead of eating those cold cereals, why not try eating plain oatmeal with fresh blueberries or cream of wheat with a banana pureed into it (cook it with skim milk instead of water).....I eat two servings of oatmeal at one sitting with a whole cup of blueberries and half cup of skim milk.....trace amounts of sodium involved here and absolutely NO refined sugar whatsoever !

Try reading the Eat-Clean Diet by Tosco Reno, a fellow-Canadian ! Eating clean is the only way in my opinion...it eliminates all processed foods and pre-packaged foods except bread and dairy ..... the heart association says we only NEED 500mg of sodium daily and should be getting much less than 2500 mg....I make sure to eat between 500 and 1000 daily.....and you can do that by eating clean...
  • PinkDog
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Your carbs are set at 71 that is way low. You can customize your percentages for protein carbs and fat. I do 30 percent carbs 20 percent fat and the rest protein.

Thanks for you help -- but my carbs are actually 220 (45% of my daily calories) -- you must've read wrong.
    :)

I also do practice clean eating as much as possible in this fast-paced 21st century world!

Thanks anyway!
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    ezekiel 4:9 low sodium bread is pretty good. 2 slices is 30 carbs but when you net out the fiber (5g+ for diabetic), it's only 24g. Taste great toasted. Pricey though but worth the "no sodium" advantage.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Fruits & Veggies - both natural and low in sodium. Watch sugar (thus carb) content if you're consuming a lot of fruits though.

Tomatoes are NOT low in sodium :sad:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    What I do is limit my bread to Pepperidge Farm low carb 100% whole wheat, and then, only at breakfast. I do not eat pasta or other grains for dinner unless I've worked out and earned the extra calories/carbs. I also eat a protein bar which has 25 carbs on workout days.

If I could find another alternative to my Kashi lunches, I would, because they're high in carbs too.

Sodium...I've found that the more processed food I eat, the more likely I am to be wayyyy over my limit. Unprocessed, natural foods are much lower in salt.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

1 large whole tomato has 9 mg of sodium??? That's pretty low to me! Canned, however, is a different story. :grumble:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

They're not?? My food diary shows a 1/2 raw tomato to be 2g of sodium. Are you maybe thinking of canned tomatoes? Or ketchup :tongue: ?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Pink Dog -

Did I read some where that you are diabetic or insulin resistant? If so, 220 carbs per day is WAY to high.

Thanks for you help -- but my carbs are actually 220 (45% of my daily calories) -- you must've read wrong.
    :)

I also do practice clean eating as much as possible in this fast-paced 21st century world!

Thanks anyway!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Those eating plans will keep a diabetic on oral medications and get them to the level where they need insulin.

My endocrinologist and the naturopath I go to says STRICT low carb 20-35 grams of carbs per day to REVERSE diabetes.

I have almost reversed mine keeping to 50 grams of carbs or less per day.

Food for thought..................

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/qt/locarbdiabetes.htm

A Low-Carb Diet Shown to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    Study Proves Very Low Carb Diet is Effective
    By Debra Manzella, R.N., About.com
    Updated: March 20, 2009

Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.
    Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes

• July24Lioness
    Options
    By the way, I have been diabetic for a little more than 6 years and those eating plans for what they tell you had me gaining and gaining weight and getting on more and more medications.

NO Thanks. I will keep with what I am doing and live medication free and now have my blood work in check, except my triglycerides and that is because I have been eating too much fruit from local fruit stands around here............. I tend to go overboard in that area, so I have to keep my portions to a minimum with fruit.

However, I did bring a 3 cup bowl of watermelon with me to work today, along with a cucumber, brocolli, tomato and red onion salad. :heart: :heart:

• PinkDog
    Options
    Thanks L
  • ccorry2
    ccorry2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just signed up today but I have already lost 8 lbs,but now that I am doing my calorie counter etc, its showing high calories, high fat , protein & high sodium. So what can i eat to control all? I must have been doing something right or I wouldnt have lost what I did. So what to do? Any advice?