Maybe ya'll can give me some ideas

Options
I just got a job that I start monday. I have to be at work by 6 am, I have to leave my house by 5:20/5:30am, so I was thinking about getting about about 4:45 am but the way my body is, is I eat before an hour after getting up I get sick and eat maybe a third of what I need/should.

What I was thinking I could do was leave at 5:20 and I'd get to work in time to eat breakfast and by that time I should be able to eat without getting sick. Now my dilemma is what could I make (either in the morning or the day(s) before) and take for breakfast. I'm trying to do a low carb diet and low processed food. What I would take would ideally be able to eat cold; at least for the first week or so until I understand all the rules.

I'll post some of the things I have for breakfast idea's but if you can think of something else please give me the idea. I'm also trying to get out of only being able to eat traditional breakfast foods (ie eggs, oatmeal, cereal..ect.) but it's really hard right now. So far I have:

Yogurt with berries/granola
Frittata
HB eggs
Egg salad

I also should add getting up earlier isn't a good solution for anybody involved. I'm SO not a morning person lol :laugh:

Replies

• sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Im off to the gym every morning... I usually take a chicken breast that I made from the prior nights dinner...good protein so It keeps you full untill lunch! :) add a string cheese in there also...
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I forgot about string cheese.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    When I'm running late I eat nuts and fruit. But I measure because they are calorie dense.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I like musselman applesauce cups, cottage cheese cups, and I could probably buy stock in chobani greek yogurt.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    I leave for work at the same time, a little after 5:30am. I started mixing up a protein shake the night before and sticking it in the refrigerator. In the morning, I can just grab it and go. I don't know how that fits into your low-carb goal, but it's fast, and keeps me from being hungry until lunch time.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry if I eat a lot of carbs before work, and my shift starts at 4 AM. I generally just eat either a piece of string cheese or a bowl of cottage cheese. Both are protein, both are low carb :)
  • FrostyLady
    FrostyLady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is cottage cheese with fruit, I also love having ham on hand, I love eating it cold with some cheese and a hard boiled egg. I always have hard boiled eggs and cheese in the house. I also often prepare all my plates in advance, this way I lose no time preparing in the morning!!! I used to be a baker and had to get up at 4:30 am. There is this cinamon oatmeal pudding recipe I like a lot on getcraking.ca ,It can be prepared in advance.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't know how this falls into your low carb diet, but I love peanut butter when I'm on the go. Paired with a rice cake & an apple it might not be totally horrible?
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

We are doing these with this variation:

1/3 c old fashioned oats
    1/4 c greek yogurt
    1/4 c almond milk
    2 tsp turbinado or brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

The next morning we add the fruit topping we want or a little maple syrup if they want maple brown sugar... It still seems a little too "thick/creamy" so I'm planning to cut back the greek yogurt a bit more and adjust the almond milk.

Quick, easy, nutritious and you can grab one to take out the door with you!
  • Megs081211
    Options

1/3 c old fashioned oats
    1/4 c greek yogurt
    1/4 c almond milk
    1 tsp cinnamon

The next morning we add the fruit topping we want or a little maple syrup if they want maple brown sugar... It still seems a little too "thick/creamy" so I'm planning to cut back the greek yogurt a bit more and adjust the almond milk.

I'll try that at least once, if I like it maybe more lol.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Mini Quiche's -- you can fix a dozen or more (3 is a serving so a weeks worth would be 15 of them) and portion them out in zip loc baggies and grab and take to work - super easy -- recipes on my blog - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/06/easy-breakfast-quiche-2fer-tuesday.html

home made protein bars! recipes on bodybuilding.com -- i LOVE the lemon ones (10g protein for two squares - so I just cut them into bars of 1 serving instead of squares like jamie eason tells you to - and only about 100 calories each)

Greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    Hard boiled eggs

I don't recommend carb heavy stuff without having high protein. I aim for at least 20-30g of protein for breakfast - and if I'm going to have a carb heavy meal, I like to balance it out with protein. :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Don't think I can be of huge help as I almost never eat a conventional breakfast, but I know what you mean about not being able to eat early, I don't ever eat anything much before 11am and often lunchtime. I know it's not supposed to be healthy, but forcing myself to eat when I feel nauseous seems pointless. How much can you vary your breakfast ideas? I don't think I could eat a hardboiled egg or egg salad ever at any time of day - have you considered less fatty/dairy based options? I find savoury (soup, roasted vegetable salads, with chicken/prawns added for protein; that sort of thing) go down a lot better and I make ahead so I can snack when I feel like it.
  • Jennaissance
    Jennaissance Posts: 212
    Options
    If you weren't low carb, I'd say carbs :)

Try a breakfast burrito but instead of a tortilla, roll it up into a giant collard green leaf.

I think the fiber in this green smoothy recipe cancels out the carbs: cabbage, a pear, a green apple, kale, lemon juice, ginger, ice (unfortunately you have to drink a blender full to get any calories, but there is so much fiber that it really fills you up).

It sounds strange but it tastes pretty good: nonfat greek yogurt with a teaspoon of olive oil and some sunflower seeds.

My top pick is frittata but I say you already have it so I'll give you my favorite recipe: 12 eggs (beaten), a can of diced tomatoes, a pack of frozen spinach, a chopped zucchini, a chopped onion, herbs you like, garlic, cheese you like (I like romano and parm with this recipe), bake at 400 until a knife pulls out clean.

Also, it's totally unconventional but I think a salmon fillet with cooked green like swiss chard or kale OR a little arugula side-salad makes an excellent breakfast. If you are super-hungry, add an egg. Actually, I eat eggs and cooked greens together a lot and that is a great breakfast. You can add some chevre or whatever cheese if you like.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options

1/3 c old fashioned oats
    1/4 c greek yogurt
    1/4 c almond milk
    1 tsp cinnamon

The recipe I use calls for 1/4 c oats, 1/4 c yogurt, and 1/3c almond (or whatever) milk, and the consistency comes out pretty good. I don't put any sugar in it, but I add 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds. I make up 2 or 3 servings at a time so I don't have to prepare it every night.
  • Megs081211
    Options
    Mini Quiche's -- you can fix a dozen or more (3 is a serving so a weeks worth would be 15 of them) and portion them out in zip loc baggies and grab and take to work - super easy -- recipes on my blog - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/06/easy-breakfast-quiche-2fer-tuesday.html

home made protein bars! recipes on bodybuilding.com -- i LOVE the lemon ones (10g protein for two squares - so I just cut them into bars of 1 serving instead of squares like jamie eason tells you to - and only about 100 calories each)

Greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    Hard boiled eggs

I don't recommend carb heavy stuff without having high protein. I aim for at least 20-30g of protein for breakfast - and if I'm going to have a carb heavy meal, I like to balance it out with protein. :)

I saved the mini quiche's to check out later but I couldn't find the recipes on bodybuilding.com but I also didn't look that hard; I'll try again tom.
  • Rosco63
    Rosco63 Posts: 37
    Options
    I make a toasted egg white and mushroom sandwich with a slice iof cheese. When im ready to eat , i pop it in the microwave at work for about 20 secs. Yum
  • Megs081211
    Options
    Don't think I can be of huge help as I almost never eat a conventional breakfast, but I know what you mean about not being able to eat early, I don't ever eat anything much before 11am and often lunchtime. I know it's not supposed to be healthy, but forcing myself to eat when I feel nauseous seems pointless. How much can you vary your breakfast ideas? I don't think I could eat a hardboiled egg or egg salad ever at any time of day - have you considered less fatty/dairy based options? I find savoury (soup, roasted vegetable salads, with chicken/prawns added for protein; that sort of thing) go down a lot better and I make ahead so I can snack when I feel like it.

I'm trying to get out of my conventional food mindset, so I'm willing to try something different. I'm trying to get various idea's so I don't get bored. I don't do soups because they have sooo much sodium in them.
  • shortmama04
    Options
    poultry ina low carb wrap - add some veggies to make it healthy!
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater but it is a good way to signal your body that "We're up, We're moving, star burning calories, we're not starving". When I was in Nursing school I had smoothies everyday because 10 they start so f-ing early and 2) you must have something on board because you don't know what you are going to see any given day.
    I do not think carbs are evil so mine use frozen fruit. 1/2 a bananna, protien powder and juice. You can make them with non-fat milk or soy milk as well.
    Deviled eggs are also portable and delicious if you are creative. I like mine with curry, greek yougurt, mustard and relish.
  • Megs081211
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater but it is a good way to signal your body that "We're up, We're moving, star burning calories, we're not starving". When I was in Nursing school I had smoothies everyday because 10 they start so f-ing early and 2) you must have something on board because you don't know what you are going to see any given day.
    I do not think carbs are evil so mine use frozen fruit. 1/2 a bananna, protien powder and juice. You can make them with non-fat milk or soy milk as well.
    Deviled eggs are also portable and delicious if you are creative. I like mine with curry, greek yougurt, mustard and relish.

I don't think carbs are evil, right now the majority of my carbs are coming from fruits and vegetables, where I eat at least one at each meal. When I was in school (to get my nutrition degree) my common breakfast was a coke and poptarts---that was ssssoooo bad for me. I've just tried so many things to lose weight, and I thought I'd try a low carb thing and so far it's working for me. When I can control my carbs more (ie I lack self control with grain based carbs) I will slowly put them back in and see if the weight will still come off.