Obsessed

Options
mgram2
mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
Does anyone else feel absolutely obsessed with logging their foods?
Before you say it .. yes I know that logging your food is the purpose of this site.... and of course using it for that purpose makes complete sense..
But I seriously cannot go without logging. I've been on here for 70+ days faithfully now and cannot imagine not logging my food. I feel like I have become obsessed with tracking my calories.
Today my friend was going to take me out to dinner to celebrate my getting a great new job as an art teacher.. and I spent an hour online researching where I could go and get something special and yummy to eat (we ultimately went to Chik-fila and I got a salad ... like always). I'm sure many of you can relate to this .. and I guess it's good that I have such commitment.. and I feel like I am continuously making good food choices.. but sometimes it's just really overwhelming.
Like I'm positive I would have a panic attack if I couldn't track a day or a meal.
Boo. :/

Replies

• Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same way!! I did weight watchers online before I came to MFP, but didn't feel quite the same commitment to logging my foods as I do here!!

I'm actually thinking of getting a smart phone just so I can get the app to log my food when I'm not in front of my computer - LOL
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hah my smartphone makes it so much easier to track my calories.. but that make the obsession even easier to give into!
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly, so it's just a matter of following it. I make them usually on Fridays or Saturdays for the entire next week.
  • lulu_1
    lulu_1 Posts: 100
    Options
    nope, but that is because i am not on the computer often and i don't even have an iphone. I wish i was obsessed with logging but i have been here for a few months and i hate having to log and write down everything i eat especially cause i am so busy !
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My husband = obsessed.

Me.... not so much. I can skip out without much of a problem. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, but I also feel like I have so much to keep on top of that going a "little crazy" occasionally and not tracking feels good. It's one aspect of my life that I can ignore every once and a while.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I have only been here for 27 days but I feel like I have to log it. My poor husband just smiles after we eat, because I instantly pull out my phone or the computer and log the minute I am done eating.... It is a good habit I can live with...
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similiar boat. I actually log all my food and exercise in a paper journal and ahve been since 2010, at the recommendation of my trainer. So since I've been on MFP, I log in both places. I sometimes refer to my journal as my "wubby", and feel lost and nervous if I don't have it with me. There have been a few times that I forgot to take it to work with me and I was figgity all day!

I think for me, at least, it's that I know that having the journal has kept me accountable. And I interpret it's use as a vital component in my success in losing and keeping the weight off and I fear if i don't have it, I will fall out of these good habits and eventually end up back at 180lbs and unhappy/unhealthy.

That being said, I don't think its a big deal/issue. I mean if I were (God forbid) diabetic and needed insulin shots to be healthy, I would have to do that. So, if i need to use a journal, even if it means for the rest of my life, in order to be healthy . . . so be it!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I am also obsessed! If I don't log, I feel guilty.... even more guilty than anything I might have had thats bad. Like you said, that is what this site it for, and why I think it helps people! I have my diary open to all, and I log everything. Helps keep me accountable! And it has completely changed how I eat all together! :)
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is totally me!! And, I can't stand it! I feel like it has taken over my life. My husband thinks I am CRAZY! LOL I don't think I would have ever lost any weight if I hadn't found this site, though! I am so thankful for the tools, at hand! :happy:
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love, love love this site . this is the first time I've had to hold my self accountable for what i ate because its all in front of me. really makes me more aware of what i'm eating and always checking calories now before i even consider eating it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call myself obsessed. Yes I have MFP as an open tab in my browser at all times and have the app on my iphone. And yes I log everything, including my water intake throughout the day. But I don't think about it past that and if I'm remaining within my allotment for the day. If I was constantly thinking about how I should log a few sips from a drinking fountain or debate what to snack on because it might put me over on some macro or maybe I've already had it once today and don't want to see the number of when I make that serving a 2 or anything else that actually hinders my day because I'm watching what I eat in more than just my brain, I'd call it obsessed. It's not hurting me to do this, I'm not looking for therapy just to stop myself.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm about 150 days in. I haven't missed a day and when I don't have my breakfast logged by lunchtime I just don't feel right. I guess it's not a bad thing. As long as you don't lose to the point where its unhealthy you'll be ok.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I will probably have an MFP account forever.

I HAVE to know how many calories are in the food I'm going to eat. Of course there are some days I'm ashamed to click the "complete this entry" button...but I still log the food. It really helps. I can't imagine how much I was eating before I randomly found this site!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would say I am also a little bit obsessed with it, but as many people have pointed out, it is a healthy thing to be aware of and not an unhealthy one. I am 45 days in and like to know what I am going to be eating throughout the day so I know whether or not I need to have a lighter breakfast/lunch, to be able to fully enjoy my dinner! Part of my problem (and let's clarify, it's a good problem to have), is that my hubby is the cook in the family and a damn good one...too good! So, I need to know in advance what he has planned for dinner, otherwise I come home to ribs, strawberry shortcake and wine! :)

But for me, seeing the weekly graph and making sure I am below the "line" everyday is a bit crazy! I have even resorted to walking the dog at 11:30 PM to make sure I would not "go over the line"!

However, the proof is in the pudding....16 lbs. in 45 days and I feel fantastic. I am essentially at my goal weight but have no plans for slowing down!
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I log into MFP many times each day. Tonight we went to out to eat and when the waitress came over I was searching MFP for the calories and asked her to come back! I am not sure if I am on MFP or Facebook more LOL. I love tracking my food and my exercise and watching the weight come off. Someone at work asked me the other day if I was actually eating and I was like yes, I am, come look at food diary :)
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same way!! I did weight watchers online before I came to MFP, but didn't feel quite the same commitment to logging my foods as I do here!!

I'm actually thinking of getting a smart phone just so I can get the app to log my food when I'm not in front of my computer - LOL

^^THIS! Me too! I can't imagine NOT logging my food, even on days when I eat horrible and its hard to track - I log. I am so glad I found this site, SO much better than WW. I feel the same about the smart phone too!! :P
  • amzelrulz8786
    amzelrulz8786 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I feel exactly the same way, I tried to go a day without logging but then I ended up logging anyways...I'm kinda addicted to logging =/
  • vanishingirl77
    Options
    I've never been good at being consistent with it...but I'm getting there!

i almost didn't do it today...and I just felt so compelled! I used to be so resistant to keeping a food journal, but now I'm starting to like it. A lot!
  • weatherlover1
    weatherlover1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am only about 16 days in and I find logging my food keeps me accountable. I did not yesterdays until tonight because I had a banquet and let myself enjoy some desserts and I felt a little guilty. :p But I am already feeling the benefit of logging and exercising even thought the pounds are just starting to come off. I always swore I would not start counting calories but this site makes it so easy its almost fun!