Almond Milk

Options
I currently use fat free milk in everything and have recently had my attention brought to almond milk. I have a few questions on it for other people that use it. Would almond milk be a healthier choice than fat free milk? (btw, the almond milk would be bought from the grocery store, not homemade stuff) Also, can almond milk be used as a perfect substitute for regular milk? Like would it taste horrible to put almond milk in my protein shakes, oatmeal or coffee?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Replies

• SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    I use almond milk in my coffee and protein shakes, and it's good. I have actually read and found that it is very healthy. I don't drink regular milk though so I may not be the perfect person to answer this. :wink:
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi. I love almond milk. It goes very well with oatmeal, cereal, and in protein shakes. I drink my coffee black, but I don't think I'd care for it in my coffee. I drink almond milk because I'm lactose intolerant and I am getting away from soy due to phyto estrogen (spelling?) and it not being as healthy as I used to think it was. The almond milk I buy is calcium fortified. The chocolate flavored option is also delicious as a dessert! Cheers!:drinker:
    Nickie
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk is quite yummy (unlike soy milk which I find quite nasty). I used to use it on cereal, and I think it would be awesome in shakes and smoothies. I don't think cow's milk is unhealthy, but almond milk is another healthy option.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I just looked online and almond milk doesn't have much calcium... is this correct? I use light soy milk now...

~Leash :heart:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I currently use fat free milk in everything and have recently had my attention brought to almond milk. I have a few questions on it for other people that use it. Would almond milk be a healthier choice than fat free milk? (btw, the almond milk would be bought from the grocery store, not homemade stuff) Also, can almond milk be used as a perfect substitute for regular milk? Like would it taste horrible to put almond milk in my protein shakes, oatmeal or coffee?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Coconut milk is better for coffee and tea. The consistency and taste is more like cream. Rice and almond milk get "lost" in it.

We have to be dairy/legume/gluten-free, so we use almond, rice, hemp, and coconut milk. I just posted an amazing smoothie in the "Recipe" forum. Check it out!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It would probably depend partly on whether you get sweetened & flavored almond milk vs. unsweetened plain. Personally I don't think it is similar to milk at all. I use the unsweetened plain for fruit smoothies.