BMI issues

Options
So according to my BMI I am over weight by 10-15 pounds. My problem with this is I have very muscular legs and arms, they are not overly toned, but muscular none the less. I realize that muscle weighs more than fat, and that the more muscle you have the heavier you will be. I don't believe i will ever see 130 pounds again, even at my healthiest weight I was 135 (post baby) and I am 10 pounds away from that. But, I spent 2.5 years moving furniture on a daily basis. So why is it that muscle mass is not taken into consideration when you are calculating your BMI? I don't think that is right.

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Because BMI was meant to track trends in large populations, not to be used on an individual basis. Just ignore your BMI and figure out your body fat %, that's what really matters.
  • ebony467
    ebony467 Posts: 15
    Options
    what's your height? When I looked up my BMI when I weighed 145 it said I was in the normal weight range (albeit on the higher side). There are different BMI scales too, like the one they use in Japan is 23 BMI as the highest for normal weight while the one we use in the US is 25.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor and asked his honest opinion about me. I am only 5'3" and HE set 140 as the minimum I should weigh. He said the charts may say different,but due to my large weight loss and "extra skin" and also that I am large busted 34DDD, muscular legs(from running) that other things come into play and those chart numbers are average guidelines.
  • kassivaladez
    Options
    Thank you all so much. That was my feeling too. I am only 5'2" and I am not over by much, high side BMI for my height is 24 and I am 26.5, so not that far off, but enough to bother me. But I have come leaps and bounds, so I am happy with my progress.