Need advice before first 5K

Options
I'm running my first 5K next Thursday night. I could use some advice about how much/ what kind of workouts to do leading up to it. I don't want to overdo it during the week and not perform well.

My typical week consists of 1-2 Zumba classes, running 5K+ 1-3 times a week, 1 yoga class, and a couple long walks.

I'd like to hear what you experienced runners out there do to get ready!
Thanks!

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't really do anything differently for a 5k race, other than not eating too heavy the night before. If it is an early morning race, and a have a typically heavy workout scheduled on the evening before, I might cut that back some. I once made the mistake of playing 3 soccer games the night before a 5k; I could definitely feel it in my legs and my time was not good.
    You might want to make the day before a rest day. But also consider your typical recovery time from your workouts. If a particular workout tends to make you sore for several days, skip it or trade it for something else. Also you should do a test run with your prerace meal if you have not already done so.
    Don't overthink it. If you are already running 5k distance, treat it like any other training run, with a whole lot of extra friends running with you. Try to run your own pace; don't get too caught up in the excitement and try to keep up with the speedsters.
    Have fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on Memorial Day weekend - I had so much fun!

Advice I was given was to not do anything new or different from what you normally do on a run day - wear and eat what you normally eat. My race was at 8:30am, so I had my favorite oatmeal at 6:30 and had no problems.

As far as exercise leading up to it, I did my last run on the Tuesday before (race was on Saturday), and did my usual home workouts, but took it easy on the legs so they would be fresh for race day.

Get good rest the night before, and drink plenty of water the day before as well.

There's a great topic here full of great race day info - he covers everything from 5ks to full marathons - check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=first+race
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    Options
    What you usually do should be fine to still do if you want to. I always push myself hard for races so I take the day before off or exercise.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've ran several (and many longer races too) and I always take 2 days off from running before each race. The day before the ONLY exercise I do is walk my dog. My body performs better at the race when I've rested. I also eat a light breakfast about an hour and half before the start time. (I always drink tons of water, so that isn't an issue for me).

Good luck!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving great advice. For me, I would like to be able to run the course once before the actual 5K. Helps my confidence and comfort level with the environment

-V-
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5K next Thursday night. I could use some advice about how much/ what kind of workouts to do leading up to it. I don't want to overdo it during the week and not perform well.

My typical week consists of 1-2 Zumba classes, running 5K+ 1-3 times a week, 1 yoga class, and a couple long walks.

I'd like to hear what you experienced runners out there do to get ready!
    Thanks!

Don't wear anything, shoes, workout clothes etc. that you have not trained in.
    Start out below your race pace. You will be caught up in the excitement for your first race. Save some for your last push.
    Get a good night's rest.
    Have fun! You've put in the miles training, now enjoy your hard work!
    Good luck!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I agree with not wearing anything different... if you want to wear something special for the run (a new pair of shorts, tech shirt, whatever) I recommend wearing it on a regular run first to see how it feels. Nothing sucks more than to discover that your new shorts don't feel right in the middle of a race.

I eat light and nutritious the day of my race (we have a summer nighttime race series here, so most of my races are at night and I have to plan accordingly.) For morning races, I'll eat about an hour and a half before the race, usually a banana and some peanut butter on whole grain toast, something like that. No alcohol the night before for me.

Also, I like to stretch a lot more before races than I normally do. I push myself much harder during a race simply from the adrenaline of it. I like to be prepared.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice! Great suggestions! You brought up some things that I didn't even think about! I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thank you again for your advice! This has been quite a week for me! I reached my goal weight AND ran my first 5K!

It went well. My goal was to be sub 30, and I finished up in 29:05.

In the first mile, I got caught up with the crowd and pushed way too hard. I finished my first mile in about 8 minutes, which has NEVER happened before! I typically run by myself so it was really hard for me to pace myself with others around. I slowed down my pace in the first part of mile 2, and again in mile 3 when I saw that I was on pace to meet my goal. I felt like I could have pushed myself harder at the end when I saw the finish line, but I just didn't have it in me. It was one of those runs that felt like a struggle pretty much the whole way through, but I did it!!

The advice on the clothes and diet really helped me!

I have another one next Thursday night, so I will definitely take what I learned from this experience to have a better run then!
    Thanks so much for reducing some of my anxiety!
    HH
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal weight and on the 5k finish!! Great job!