over exercising

Options
moran1917
moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
I think I have been over-exercising. This week I hit a place where I got worse at the workout than better. I feel so tired and unable to do things that were fine last week. The first part of working out always goes well, but the second workout is killer. I'm not sure if I am just having an off week or over-doing it.

My current routine is as follows: M, W, F, Sun I walk my dogs 6-8 kms full out on trails in the woods. T, Th, Sat, I run 10 km, first half at 6.2 mph, second half at 5.0 mph- I am learning to increase my speed. 6 days a week I also do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. I burn just under 6000 calories a week.

My worry is about my next program. I will either begin Insanity or P90x, not sure which one yet. But they are longer workouts than Body Revolution and I am guessing much more intense. I am thinking that I will have to stop running while I do those programs. I guess this worries me because I have been working hard on my goal of running 10 km in 60 minutes and I fear that if I do not run for 60 or 90 days that I will lose my abilities.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. If you feel your overdoing it you might. Pain is a good indication. I guess digression can be too. If you feel you need to tone it down some then take a small break from one of your walks or runs. Shorter distance and/or time. What ever you need to do to rejuvenate you body and mind.

It come do to what your body is telling you.

theres not set zone as everyone is different.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Usually the culprit is undereating- but I'm glad to report I looked at your diary and it looks good!

I would probably take a full week off to rest and recuperate- and eat at maintenence. It sounds like you've been going too hard, and you're getting yourself in to a risky situation, opening yourself up to injury. Why do you have to stop running completely? Can't you slow down the program and just run 1 or 2 days a week and do the insanity or p90X 3 days a week? That would give you 2 rest days, and seems like a pretty reasonable approach to me. Make one running day a speed day, and one run a long run. Your base running can be easily maintained at 2x a week.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body and how you feel, but it might help to decide what is your priority. If running is the priority right now, than make that your focus. You can (and should) still strength train, but you may want to tailor those work outs to things that will help your running (lots of core work, lunges, etc). Personally I would find it hard to give up running for three months, but I am also often training for a race of some sort.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I guess I wrote the thread because my body is not happy right now. I recently increased the number of calories I eat to try and always be over 1000 net and that has helped a bit.

I have always just done the programs the way they are and followed the schedules provided. Honestly it never occurred to me to change it up to keep the running in as I figured you have to do what they say to get the results. Maybe I could switch out one of their cardio workouts for a run....good idea.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    rest. rest rest. After my workout I was like that. Just stayed in the bed all day and slept. Please rest. Give it a break.