NSV jogging...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
Jogging and running have always been excruciating exercise for me. I do it ONLY if I have to, not ever because I want to run. About a month ago, I decided to start what I call fire hydrant runs. Run from one hydrant to the next, and then walk to the next continuing to alternate until I could run two fire hydrants, and then 3. I just came back from a run...I ran more than 3.5 miles non-stop (40 minutes of running)!! YAY me! From 30 yards to 3 miles...I'm so excited at the gains I've made mentally and cardiovascularly!:drinker:

Replies

• vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Great for you .....that is how they say to start running .....
  • Chelly02
    Chelly02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thats a great NSV
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That has to be the best feeling.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wahoo!!

My SIL did the same, to start running. She would run the short blocks, and walk a long block. Then alternate for the run. Eventually she was able to run a long block and only needed to walk a short block. Then 2 long blocks, and so on. Now she can run 5+ mph (6?) for 55+ mins at a time on a treadmill.

I tried, I failed. Back to incline for me ;)
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations! I like the idea of fire hydrants, we don't have very many in our neighborhood and I probably couldn't run that length anyway but I'm going by lightposts. Hopefully, I'll be able to say I ran some crazy amount like you did :P
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's wonderful. I did the same thing...just run to the next tree, run until you get to a shady spot, etc. Run walk...it works!
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    What does NSV mean?
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    YAY you indeed. next is Boston...
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I did a similar method, walk one block run one block. Then walk one run two. Etc. Congrats!! :drinker:
  • cmbarnes
    cmbarnes Posts: 46
    Options
    Great going! I'm starting week 8 of C25K on Sunday (running for 28 minutes at a time), and your NSV is very inspiring! Hopefully, I'll be able to run as long as you soon! :drinker:
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What does NSV mean?

Non Scale Victory?
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Seriously? NON SCALE VICTORY? I like it!:smile: thanks,
  • AABru
    Options
    thanks for the toast and encouragement everyone! I felt like drinking...but then I'd have to run further...:wink:
  • AABru
    Options
    Good for you! That has to be the best feeling.
    I wish I could explain the feeling...it was even better than my pants being too big!
  • AABru
    Options
    YAY you indeed. next is Boston...
    LOL...I signed up for the half marathon in May in Cleveland. Hoping to finish in 3 hours or less!
  • AABru
    Options
    Wahoo!!

My SIL did the same, to start running. She would run the short blocks, and walk a long block. Then alternate for the run. Eventually she was able to run a long block and only needed to walk a short block. Then 2 long blocks, and so on. Now she can run 5+ mph (6?) for 55+ mins at a time on a treadmill.

I tried, I failed. Back to incline for me ;)
    You've got to keep trying...I'm 38, and I've tried and failed so many times before...I couldn't even tell you. But something clicked this month, and I didnt feel the pain or the panic when I couldn't catch my breath. I just did it. SO can you!
  • AABru
    Options
    Great going! I'm starting week 8 of C25K on Sunday (running for 28 minutes at a time), and your NSV is very inspiring! Hopefully, I'll be able to run as long as you soon! :drinker:
    I don't know c25k, but if I can do this, so can you...it really is more mental than physical (although losing weight made it easier to accomplish). Best of luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!